Tony Yengeni's drunk driving trial postponed

2016-02-10 11:30
Tony Yengeni outside court. (Jenna Etheridge, News24)

Tony Yengeni outside court. (Jenna Etheridge, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town – ANC national executive committee member Tony Yengeni will have to wait until Friday for his drunken driving trial to continue in the Cape Town Magistrate's Court.

He was to have appeared on Wednesday, but his lawyer, Advocate Dirk Uijs, was unable to make it and the case was postponed.

Yengeni was arrested in Green Point, Cape Town, after being pulled over while driving his white Maserati erratically in 2013.

Yengeni allegedly drove with a blood-alcohol level of 0.25%, five times the legal limit of 0.05%. He is out on R500 bail.

Last month, Sergeant Jonas Gomba, who took Yengeni into custody in 2013, told the court he had called for back-up after four men tried to obstruct him during Yengeni's arrest.

"They arrived at the scene and told me I am not allowed to handcuff him, asking if I know who this man was. One of them approached me in a threatening way," Gomba testified.

He said Yengeni was being "riotous", and swore and pointed his finger at him after he was pulled over after nearly hitting a curb. He apparently refused to take a breathalyser test.

Uijs said his client refused as the kit had not been sealed.

Gomba said Yengeni had expressed regret for his behaviour.

Read more on:    tony yengeni  |  cape town
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.