Trial date set in Moses Mabhida soccer invasion case

2018-05-25 18:36
Kaizer Chiefs fans attack a security guard at the Moses Mabhida stadium in Durban. (Screen grab via SABC)

Kaizer Chiefs fans attack a security guard at the Moses Mabhida stadium in Durban. (Screen grab via SABC)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A date has been set for the trial of 10 soccer fans, who face charges in connection with the pitch invasion at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in April.

John Khumalo, Phelelani Jojisa‚ Lungisani Jaca‚ Zibongile Njova‚ Nolwethu Sokotha‚ Douglas Mkhize‚ Cebolendoda Hadebe‚ Khwezilomo Madiba‚ Sihle Zungu and Siphosenkosi Memela appeared in the Durban Magistrate's Court on Friday.

Their case has been moved to the Durban Regional Court on June 26.

Madiba is accused of assaulting a security guard during the incident. Police had to trek to the Eastern Cape to arrest him.

This was the first time all accused appeared together following the chaos at the April 21 Nedbank Cup semi-final between Kaizer Chiefs and Free State Stars. Fans invaded the pitch after Chiefs suffered a defeat.

READ: Chiefs plead guilty to Moses Mabhida violence

The 10 accused have been barred from attending any sporting fixture or recreational gathering until their case was finalised.

In a previous appearance, some of the men were lambasted by seasoned Magistrate Mahomed Motala, who told them they had stained the reputation of the country.

"Sport lovers everywhere say they will not attend sporting functions because of what they witnessed at Moses Mabhida Stadium on that fateful day. You must give careful thought [to] what your actions have resulted in. Reflect on the damage done on our country and our city."

During a press briefing earlier this month, eThekwini Metro Mayor Zandile Gumede said damage from the incident was R2.6m.

Police had to use tear gas and stun grenades to disperse the unruly fans, who could be seen hurling chairs and beating security officials.

Footage shows fans severely beating a security guard. The scenes were widely criticised on social media and by the sporting community.

Read more on:    moses mabhida stadium

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.