Unclaimed jackpot: Clock ticking for R28m lotto winner

2019-01-25 16:59

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The winner of R28m in a lotto draw has still not come forward and is at risk of forfeiting their winnings, Ithuba National Lottery confirmed on Friday.

The national lottery said the winner had until February 13 to come forward or they might stand to lose the hefty jackpot win.

The ticket was bought at a Shoprite Checkers store in Cape Town's Sanlam Centre, TimesLive reported earlier this month.

The player, the publication reported, used the "quick pick" selection method.

"As part of our winner awareness campaign, we are obliged to notify the public of all unclaimed jackpots before they expire. [So far] no one has come forward to claim the winnings," Ithuba National Lottery spokesperson Busisiwe Koloi told News24.

She also urged lotto players to safeguard their tickets and to pay close attention to the claim date deadline.

Asked what would happen with the money when the deadline passes, Koloi said the money would be used to "further support good causes through the National Lotteries Distribution Trust Fund".

She said while there had been other instances where winning tickets had gone unclaimed, this was a "small percentage" of people.

Players who have not claimed their winnings are encouraged to contact the lottery offices on 0800 484 822.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    lotto
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.