'Underworld' bouncer crackdown continues as 2 more arrested

2017-07-07 15:24
The scene outside a nightclub in Cape Town (File, YouTube screengrab)

The scene outside a nightclub in Cape Town (File, YouTube screengrab)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - Two more bouncers have been arrested in an ongoing clampdown on nightclub security as an underworld turf war over the industry rages on.

The two bouncers were detained on Thursday night during a compliance operation targeting clubs in Bellville.

A multidisciplinary team, consisting of Hawks officers, national intervention unit members, liquor officials and others linked to the regulation of private security, carried out the arrests.

This brings to seven the number of bouncers arrested around Cape Town in two weeks.

Western Cape Hawks spokesperson Lloyd Ramovha confirmed the latest arrests for the alleged contravention of private security regulations.

Last week, the task team detained three bouncers in Table View and another two during an operation in Long Street in the city centre.

More unannounced raids have not been ruled out.

Also read: Tracker planted on underworld shooting car - claims

On Tuesday, the task team also clamped down on a security company in Bellville.

They conducted a compliance inspection at the company, The Security Group (TSG), to see if they were compliant with various regulations.

No arrests were made.

News24 understands that members of the national intervention unit, armed with machine guns, were present to ensure that those involved in this operation were safe.

Several sources with intimate knowledge of what happened told News24 that, during the operation, at least two underworld figures arrived at the scene.

The nightclub security industry has been the centre of an intensifying underworld turf war which has been playing out mainly in Cape Town.

It has resulted in several shootings.

On Thursday, alleged 28s gang boss Ralph Stanfield was wounded in a drive-by shooting in Johannesburg.

Police said a manhunt was launched to try and track down those behind this incident. 

Read more on:    cape town  |  crime
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 

Matric Results are coming soon!

Notify me when results become available

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.