Vehicles overturned, windows smashed in Hout Bay protest

2017-07-03 10:41
Kronendal Village security guard house. (Angie Barry Long, Facebook)

Kronendal Village security guard house. (Angie Barry Long, Facebook)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town – Vehicles have been overturned, windows smashed and temporary food trucks destroyed as Hout Bay protests enter the third day, authorities said on Monday. 

City of Cape Town mayoral committee member for safety JP Smith asked police to use video footage of "rioters" engaged in public violence and damaging state and private property, to ensure individuals were prosecuted. 

"The situation in Hout Bay has become serious and it is clear that it is no longer a matter of community protest, but has now entered the realm of sheer criminality," Smith said.

"Every available city traffic law enforcement and metro police resource has been dispatched to Hout Bay to attempt to contain the situation."

"Their [the protesters'] behaviour is unacceptable and cannot be tolerated in a democratic dispensation." 

- Are you there? Send us your eyewitness accounts and photos.

On Monday morning, stun grenades were used to disperse an estimated 100 protesters in the area.

Victoria Road was reopened on Monday morning and traffic from the Main Road was diverted into Disa River Road and down Valley Road. 

In a statement, Western Cape police said personnel from public order policing, the stabilisation unit and visible policing had been deployed to the area. 

Police are working closely with law enforcement agencies to quell the situation and to restore tranquility to the area, spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Andrè Traut said. 

It was unclear whether a meeting between the housing department and the Imizamo Yethu steering committee, set for Monday morning, would continue.

Protests in the area started on Saturday when community members erected structures blocking traffic in roads.

In March, a huge fire tore through Imizamo Yethu, destroying hundreds of homes and leaving thousands of residents displaced.

City of Cape Town safety and security director Richard Bosman previously told News24 that the protest was over a lack of electricity and decent formal housing in Imizamo Yethu, which had allegedly been promised by Mayor Patricia de Lille to those displaced by the devastating fire in the area a few months ago.

Protesters claim they were promised better housing within three months of the fire.

Those displaced are currently staying at an interim housing area on Hout Bay's sports field.

Read more on:    saps  |  cape town  |  fires  |  protests

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.