'We want to know what's going on' - Overburdened court roll delays child murder case - again

2019-05-14 18:42
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The family of murdered toddler Orderick Lucas will have to wait even longer to get to the bottom of what happened to their little boy after the bail application of the hairdresser accused of murdering him was postponed for a third time.

Alleged child killer Melvin Volkwyn will spend at least another week behind bars before his bail application is heard.

Volkwyn appeared in the Blue Downs Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday where he faces charges of murder, kidnapping and defeating the ends of justice.

But his bail application was again postponed – for a third time – owing to an overburdened court roll.

Volkwyn has been behind bars for nearly two months.

He was initially only charged with 22-month-old Orderick's kidnapping, but was later charged with his murder after the little boy's body was found in a drain near his grandmother’s house.

Volkwyn was friends with Orderick’s mother Davedine Lucas.

Orderick had lived with his grandmother Cornelia Scheepers in Wittebol Street, Melton Rose, but had been in his mother's care at the time of his disappearance.

Lucas had asked Volkwyn to keep an eye on her son that day. She claimed Volkwyn had told her on the Monday that he had returned the child to Scheepers.

Lucas said it was when she went to visit her son at her mother's house on Thursday, March 28 that she discovered that he had never been returned.

The court's public benches were filled with many of Volkwyn's friends and acquaintances. The popular stylist greeted by nodding at them when he stepped into the dock.

Jonathan Alexander, a friend of Volkwyn's, said outside court that proceedings needed to “come to a point”.

“It’s not right,” he said.

Volkwyn is being held at the Mfuleni police station at the request of his attorney after the court heard previously that he had been sexually harassed by inmates at the Goodwood Correctional Centre.

Neighbourhood watch member Sarah Langford, who took part in the search for Orderick before his body was found, said it was frustrating that the matter had yet again been postponed.

“We want to know what’s going on. We want answers,” she said.

The bail application was postponed to May 23.

Read more on:    cape town  |  courts
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.