'You look in your child's bed and you find empty bullets' - Cape Town residents block road in anti-gang protest

2018-08-24 12:21
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Residents of the Cape Town suburbs of Kensington and Facreton blocked a major arterial route during rush hour on Friday in a desperate attempt to get national government to pay attention to gang violence in the area.

"You look in your child's bed and you find empty bullets lying on the bed," said one woman, speaking on condition of anonymity during the protest about 10km east of the city's CBD.

She said this happened after gangsters opened fire on houses during what appears to be a heated dispute between rival gangs.

Fed up and afraid, residents got together under the auspices of KenFac Action for Change and blocked part of Voortrekker Road and another route during rush hour to get the attention of the government.

"We call the police and they say they can't come. They even say it is too dangerous.

"If you ask the police, and they can't come out, what are we supposed to do?" she asked.

She said protesters had vowed not to burn tyres or damage property, but they wanted attention paid to their demand for increased visible policing, a crime prevention unit and a specialised gang unit for the area.

Zainulabideen van der Schyff, chairperson of the Kensington Community Policing Forum, said they had not organised the protest, but were fully in support of it.

"It has been a peaceful engagement. I am very proud of the residents," he said.

Van der Schyff said there had been at least five shootings in the area this week alone.

In previous incidents, innocent bystanders had been caught in the crossfire, including a dental worker who was shot in the leg, he said.

He added that scholar transport and anybody on their way to a doctor or hospital were being allowed through the picket line, and that traffic police had cordoned off the area.

Western Cape Metro Police chief Kenny Africa confirmed the road closure and said motorists would have to find an alternate route.

Provincial police confirmed that around 70 residents blocked off 18th Avenue and 4th Avenue as part of a peaceful protest from 05:15.

Captain FC van Wyk said they asked the group to disperse, which they did around 10:00.

He said the group engaged with Kensington police management, ward councillor Helen Jacobs and the community policing forum executive.

"They requested a number of things included more resources. They gave Kensington management up to Wednesday at 16:00 to respond."

A case of convening a gathering without notice or adequate notice was opened for investigation.

Read more on:    cape town  |  gang violence  |  protests

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.