Zille puts foot deeper in mouth with Life Esidimeni tweet

2018-03-20 19:00
Helen Zille (Gallo Images)

Helen Zille (Gallo Images)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Video

WATCH: Maimane dragged on Twitter after Zille apology

2017-06-13 16:16

Years from now, this will be the moment Mmusi Maimane will look back on as the time and place where he lost the plot, writes News24 columnist Faith Daniels. Twitter seems to agree...WATCH

Johannesburg – Western Cape Premier Helen Zille's habit of writing controversial tweets continued on Tuesday when she tweeted about the families of the Life Esidimeni victims.

Zille tweeted on Tuesday: "It is good that the families of the Life Esidimeni victims have received a measure of justice and compensation. I would like an answer to this question: What did they do, before these tragic deaths, to raise the alarm about their loved ones starving + living in profound neglect?"

Section 27, which represented 63 families, described Zille's comments as regrettable, saying that the premier's question was answered at length through testimonies during the arbitration process as well as through personal stories reported on by the media.

Maboe testified at the hearings that once while there to visit his son he saw people being loaded onto trucks and when he returned a month later his son was gone.

"I saw two big trucks loading people [in May 2016]. They were so confused, the poor people. Some of them were crying, some were in wheelchairs," Maboe said.

"They were so confused. They were like goats or sheep at an auction," he said.

Tweet 'inappropriate'

He testified that he went back in June to find his son was no longer there, and Life Esidimeni had been replaced by a different facility.

"I became very worried," he said. "I prayed every day, I scouted around. We were haunted [not knowing where Billy was]."

Thejane, whose brother Daniel was also moved without the family's knowledge, testified during the arbitration hearings that after tracking her brother down, following his move from Life Esidimeni, she found him in a bad state of health.

ALSO READ: Twitter drags Helen Zille over ‘skottel ‘post

"He did not even have his file from Esidimeni, he did not have his ID, they did not know anything about his medical history," she said through an interpreter.

The DA's national spokesperson, Refiloe Nt'sekhe, told News24 that Zille's tweet was "unfortunate", inappropriate" and "inefficient".

"It's an unfortunate tweet considering the DA has been fighting through Jack Bloom for the rights of the victims and families. The DA finds the statement inappropriate and inefficient."

Read more on:    life esidimeni  |  da  |  helen zille  |  social media
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.