News24

DA wants answers on education spending

2012-10-30 21:27

Johannesburg - The Democratic Alliance on Tuesday demanded answers from the basic education department about infrastructure funds it allegedly failed to use.

DA MP Annette Lovemore said the treasury had allocated R7.2bn for the rebuilding of Eastern Cape schools but the money was not spent.

The treasury had allegedly reallocated the cash in the form of a general infrastructure grant to provinces.

"There are 400 mud schools in the Eastern Cape alone... The failure to spend this money for the purpose allocated is a national disgrace," said Lovemore.

According to the DA, the funds were made available following a court settlement concluded by the Legal Resources Centre in February last year, on behalf of seven mud schools in the Eastern Cape.

"The DBE made a commitment that 49 mud schools would be replaced with new buildings by August.

They missed this deadline and extended it to November," said Lovemore.

She said the delays and the reallocation of this money would delay plans to replace even more schools next year.

Education department spokesperson Hope Mokgatlhe denied the claims.

"The department of basic education will not comment on the statement released by the DA... [We have] not yet received the treasury's final letter of allocation for this period, and will therefore treat the report as a fabrication," she said.

Comments
  • Adil Smit - 2012-10-30 21:39

    Please find out whether next year's school books have been ordered and paid for.

  • frans.visserdsb - 2012-10-30 21:52

    why am i not surprised... eish, comrade, DeNial she is the longest river in africa...

  • ian.flack2 - 2012-10-30 21:54

    Let's go green and plant a few more schools......

  • gesigboekie - 2012-10-30 21:55

    So..where is the money?? I hope this will at least be investigated. This is exactly what I cannot understand..the money is available but nothing is done and no-one asks questions, deny, deny, deny as always.

  • Sandile Bhoma Ka Nduli - 2012-10-30 21:59

    EC is always behind in everything but we cannot blame the excutive leaders of the organisation at this point in time. The problem is with the provincial leadership. Roads are full of potholes etc etc nobody thinks of developing but curruption.

      rodney.bevan.58 - 2012-10-30 22:25

      Executive leadership ARE to blame, they instituted cadre deployment. Those at provincial level are there because of the leaders, not becuase they know how to do their jobs. Besides, the leadership are showing the minions how to be corrupt, steal, hide funds, move funds etc. the only people to blame here are the ANC.

      hendrik.verwoerd.94 - 2012-11-13 15:33

      Sandile we must remember that the EC was never developed until 1994. Even though it fell under the WC the NP spent all the money in (now) WC as Cape Town has a big harbour and was vital for the economy. After 1994 people started leaving the area as it was the worst looked after province in the country. It will take time to lift the EC up.

  • gaby.hide.3 - 2012-10-30 22:10

    Another post summed it up for me today: I love my country but I hate my government. For gods sake people, vote for anyone else but the anc, come next elections.

      irene.buthelezi.1 - 2012-10-30 23:04

      @Gaby ~ So true. It's time peopled voted for national pride instead of crooked and corrupt party loyalty.

      hendrik.verwoerd.94 - 2012-11-13 15:35

      Gaby I said many times before. Whites will not vote for the ANC, Blacks will not vote for the DA. WHat is left? Cope, a party born out of anger and who will fight forever, IFP a failing party, and other small parties. Only option is a new party now.

  • Montagnes.Bleues - 2012-10-30 22:39

    All gone! Gone to zumaville on the backs of black piglets flying SA sky's! Gone and never to return................flayed to the end of tribal poles.

  • ndyeboreginaldmazawule - 2012-10-31 00:07

    The DA wants all suka mxm

      MallyGold - 2012-10-31 08:48

      There's one born every minute!!

  • MallyGold - 2012-10-31 08:47

    Hope Mokgatlhe, you should rather be known as “Hopeless”, in-keeping with the rest of your ilk as you continue to reject the court order to replace the 49 mud schools by August 2012. If this were not a court-sanctioned fact why did your department apply to extend the deadline to Nov’12, after missing the earlier deadline. Now, after yet another failure to perform, you inexplicably trash the court-order as a fabrication; much like that of a child being caught in an act of gross disobedience.

      lacrimose.wolf - 2012-10-31 09:01

      It's a disgrace that citizens have to take govt to court to get them to their jobs. It's laughable that govt imagines we live in a free and democratic society when the govt refuses to obey the laws and orders of the courts

  • pages:
  • 1