Details emerge in Steyn saga

Cape Town - Brand name rights appear to be at the centre of the dispute between Frans Steyn and the South African Rugby Union (SARU), the Volksblad website reports.

Click HERE for more FRANS STEYN news

It is believed that SARU's commercial manager, Andy Marinos, made a promise that the union would pay the money for Steyn's brand name rights - which is owned by a third party in France.

This promise was made before Steyn left French club Racing Metro to play for the Sharks two years ago.

According to Volksblad, this promise was initially kept, but SARU has since refused to keep paying.

It led to Steyn leaving the Springbok squad earlier this week, making himself unavailable for Test selection for the foreseeable future.

SARU CEO Jurie Roux on Thursday admitted there was a dispute between Steyn and the rugby union.

"I can confirm that there was a dispute over mechanisms by which one element of Frans’ Springbok remuneration was to be paid," Roux said in a press statement.

"That issue was addressed.

"Some minor details remain to be sorted out, but they are not of such a scale as to be a cause for a major upheaval.

"Out of respect for Frans’ wishes, whatever other considerations may have been on his mind are not for me to discuss.

"I look forward to his return to playing in the near future in Super Rugby as he has been a good servant to the Springboks and his franchise."

While Roux is optimistic that Steyn will return to play for the Boks, it may not happen unless the despite is resolved, Volksblad said.
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
What are your views on the World Rugby men's Player of the Year nominations for 2021 not including any Springboks?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
It's a disgrace! Both Siya Kolisi AND Eben Etzebeth should have been nominated!
39% - 5410 votes
Siya, at the very least, should have been included after a superb season
7% - 931 votes
Etzebeth has been SA's best player this year and should feel hard done by
20% - 2768 votes
Get over it! Moaning about this just sounds like sour grapes!
34% - 4623 votes
Vote