McIlroy to defend Oz Open title

Sydney - World number one Rory McIlroy on Wednesday said he will defend his Australian Open title, crediting his win last year in Sydney as the launchpad for a return to form.

The Northern Irishman overhauled crowd favourite and fierce rival Adam Scott for victory last November - his first win in more than 12 months.

He has since stormed through the rankings to supplant Scott at the top after clinching the WGC Bridgestone Invitational crown on Sunday.

The 25-year-old three-time major champion said he was relishing another crack at the Australian title from November 27-30.

"I'm really looking forward to coming back to Sydney in November to defend my Australian Open title," he said in a statement released by the tournament organisers.

"I had a terrific experience last year in front of great crowds. They really loved the showdown between myself and Adam. And it proved to be a really important win for me.

"I believe my return to form was given real momentum in Australia last year."

There is no word yet on whether Australia's Scott, now ranked two in the world, plans to return, although he has been a regular in the past.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
After the opening weekend of URC action, what did you make of the South African struggles?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
It exposed the quality of South African rugby...
38% - 2095 votes
There were positives to take
7% - 366 votes
We shouldn't read too much into one weekend
17% - 918 votes
It will take the SA sides time to adjust to the new competition
39% - 2183 votes
Vote