A deadly story – the origins of poisoning

2017-10-18 10:00

While we encounter many poisonous substances in our daily lives, they're relatively easy to avoid. The notion of deliberately poisoning another person is however a different matter altogether.

Three children dead after eating poisonous meat in Cape Town

2017-04-04 15:33

Three children have died after apparently ingesting poisonous food, Western Cape police say.

2 siblings die after eating chips and drinking water from container

2016-11-09 21:02

North West Premier Supra Mahumapelo says he is saddened by the deaths of two siblings who fell sick after eating potato chips and drinking tap water from a 25-litre container.

Warning about deadly weight-loss pill

2015-05-07 17:05

South Africans are being urged against using a highly toxic ‘fat burning’ substance known as 2.4-dinitrophenol (DNP), following a global warning and death of a student.

Witbank family poisoned by household heater

2014-07-29 13:34

Three members of a Witbank family have died of carbon monoxide poisoning, allegedly caused by their heater, Mpumalanga police said on Tuesday.

Aldicarb: a very dangerous poison

2013-12-03 13:08

Here are some quick facts on Aldicarb (Temik), which is a fast-acting poison.


When should you rush your toddler to the ER?

2017-10-17 10:34

A new survey found that many parents need a refresher course when it comes to especially choking and poisoning emergencies.

'Gogo' hawker accused of poisoning over 75 pupils

2016-11-17 11:03

More than 75 pupils from the Sindzawonye Primary School in Pienaar, near Nelspruit, were rushed to hospital after they were allegedly poisoned, the department of education has said.

Mom fed her children Rattex-laced porridge

2015-06-26 11:11

A young Pietermaritzburg woman who is charged with trying to poison her two young children by feeding them porridge laced with Rattex, is seeking bail.

'Munchausen by internet' – mother kills son for attention

2015-03-18 13:05

Cybershrink comments on a mother, Lacey Spears, who poisoned her son because she enjoyed the attention she received from family, friends, doctors and people on the internet.

Is it really an allergy?

2014-06-06 10:54

Food intolerance can easily be mistaken for a true allergy. Spot the difference.

Baby dies after eating laundry pod

2013-08-16 10:44

A US baby has died of poisoning after ingesting household detergent.

Traffic Alerts

Jobs in Cape Town [change area]

Jobs in Western Cape region

IT Manager (contract)

Cape Town CBD
Communicate Cape Town IT
R330 000.00 - R458 000.00 Per Year

HSE Manager

Cape Town
Tumaini Consulting
R550 000.00 - R650 000.00 Per Year

Reporting Accountant

Cape Town
Network Finance Professional / Prudential
R310 000.00 - R360 000.00 Per Year

Property [change area]

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.