Schengen visa 101

2013-04-08 15:23

Planning an overseas trip is always fun and exciting... up until the point when you actually have to apply for a Visa!

At these times it may be tempting to just let go of the dream and opt for one of the delightfully easy 'no visa required' destinations instead. Understandable, but unwise! Imagine all the regrets you'd be faced with a few years down the line.

So, in an effort to make things easier for you, we've put together a quick guide to applying for entry to Schengen territory, one of the most admin-heavy visa applications around.

What is the Schengen Visa?

Although you may find that the name has a deceptively oriental ring to it, it is in fact the document that will get you into most European countries.

To be more specific Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lituania, Luxembourg, Maltea, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland all require the Schengen visa.

Where does the name come from?

It comes from a treaty that was signed by member states of the European Economic Community in Schengen, Luxembourg in 1985.

The Schengen Area comprises the territories of twenty-five European countries that have implemented this agreement.

Where to apply?

The most important thing to know about Schengen visa applications, is that you are required to appear in person at the consulate/embassy of the country through whom you will be acquiring the visa.

The country you will apply through depends entirely on the structure of your trip:

  • If you are only visiting one country, you apply at that country's Embassy or Consulate.
  • If you are visiting a few, but staying longer in one country, you apply at the Embassy or Consulate of the country you will be visiting for the longest period of time, i.e. your main destination.
  • If you plan on visiting a number of countries, and staying in each one for the exact same amount of time, you apply at the Embassy or Consulate of your first point of entry.
Types of Visas:

There are four different types of Schengen visa, but only three are applicable to South African citizens.
  • Short stay visa: this spans a period of 1-90 days and includes single, double or multiple entry.
  • Long stay visa: Visas for visits exceeding 90 days are national visas, and are issued by member states in accordance with national legislation.
  • Transit visa: this spans a period of 1 - 5 days and is required for those who are travelling from one non-Schengen state to another, but crossing Schengen territory. If the main destination happens to be in Schengen territory, a short stay visa will be issued instead.
Airport transit visas are required for certain nationals, but not for South African citizens.

Documentation to be submitted:

Now this is the real tough part: collecting all of your important documents, making sure everything is up to date and having a fully-planned itinerary! But if you make a check list of the following items at the very beginning of planning your trip things might go surprisingly smoothly.

1. A Common Schengen Application Form - available from Consular websites or offices.

Your SA passport. Ensure that it is valid for a period of at least 3 months after your last day of stay in Schengen territory. NB: Temporary passports are not accepted.

3. Passport photo - a recent one in colour.

4. The visa of the final country of destination (if needed) must be obtained before applying for a
Schengen visa eg. United Kingdom.

5. Round trip air-ticket and itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from
Schengen state.

6. Proof of sufficient funds for duration of stay. The minimum requirement differs from place to place, so check with the consulate of each country. Tax receipts of foreign exchange purchased, traveller's cheques and credit card statements/an original letter from the bank manager stating credit amount available serve as proof.

7. Travel/health/accident insurance with minimum medical coverage of the Rand equivalent of Euro 30.000,00. The policy number and dates of cover must appear on the document. No quotations will be accepted.

8. Proof of Accommodation. Either confirmed hotel/backpacker/B&B reservations, or a letter from the family member or friend who will be hosting you along with a copy of their ID or passport.

9. For business: an official business letter from a company in a Schengen state and from the
employer in South Africa, stating purpose of visit must be presented. For conferences: proof of
registration and payment is required.

10. Certified parental consent -

  • by both parents for children under 18 travelling alone or with school group.
  • If the child travels with only one parent, the other parent must produce the notarized/certified consent.
  • If only one parent has guardianship of minor, the court documents stating so must be presented. Certain consular authorities require that both parents sign before a consular official.
Take note: The Schengen State's Consular offices reserves the right to request further documentation should it be deemed necessary, such as:

a. Proof of Employment: eg letter from company stating continuing employment after
period of leave and duration of vacation, etc.

b. If applicant is a student: letter from school/college/university confirming

c. Bank and credit card statements for last 3 months.

d. A personal interview with the applicant may be requested at any time.

PLEASE NOTE: Certain countries have specific requirements that other countries don't have. Best to check with the Embassy or consulate BEFORE going through the whole schlep only to find you missed out on one crucial point!

Fees and exemption

You can expect to pay about 60 Euros for the transit and short stay visas. For long stay visa fees, you will have to contact the Embassy or consulate.

If you fall into one of the following categories you are lucky enough to be exempt from visa fees:

  • Children under 6 years of age
  • School pupils, students, post grad students or teachers who undertake trips for the purpose of study or educational training.
  • Researchers carrying out scientific studies.
  • Spouses of EU/EEA citizens and their children under the age of 21 years, who are accompanying the EU/EEA citizens. You will need to submit copies of EU/EEA passport, full marriage certificate as well as full birth certificates
Read more on:    travel  |  travel international

SHARE: publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside Travel


#FindYourEscape with Traveller24

Your insider guide to exploring South Africa and the world...
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.