News24  |   OLX  |   PriceCheck  |   Property24  |   Careers24  |   Spree

SA black youth spend most school years playing 'catch up' - expert

26 April, 10:52 AM

A recent report from Statistics South Africa has shown that black Africans between the ages of 25 – 34 are less skilled than their parents, and every other race group. Rosie Chirongoma from Partners for Possibility explains how the current education system is failing South Africa's youth. Watch. 

According to Chirongoma, in the five year period [between 2009 - 2014], the study shows that people who do not have a matric were the most likely to remain unemployed.

She says that of the approximate 25 000 schools in the country, 20% are world-class while the remaining 80% are 'failing' schools.

"Less than 30% of the one million children who start Grade 1 every year will be able to sustain themselves financially. The system is failing South Africa's children."

Partners for Possibility works to improve the prospects of under-resourced schools.

Follow us


Have you captured the next viral video? Are you on the scene of a big news event? Share your video with us and it could be featured on News24 Video! Email Tweet a reply