News24  |   OLX  |   PriceCheck  |   Property24  |   Careers24  |   Spree

ICYMI: Zuma defends his interdict against state capture report

25 October, 09:15 PM

President Jacob Zuma has defended his last-minute interdict against outgoing Public Protector Thuli Madonsela's report on state capture.

Speaking in a question and answer session in the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) on Tuesday Zuma claimed he had not been approached for comment.

Watch the video above.

He said he was within his right to block the release claiming Madonsela had not granted him adequate opportunity to reply.

However, several statements from Madonsela and public record (including statements from the Public Protector's office) contradict Zuma's assertion.

In an interview earlier this month Madonsela said Zuma was the first person to know of the investigation.

Her office sent him two letters on the matter, one in March and another in April, before they met in October.

For Madonsela's detail on her contact with Zuma regarding the report, see her News24 Frontline interview here.

"I read the questions onto the record to really give him a sense," said Madonsela of a recent meeting.

She added that Zuma agreed to reply in an affidavit and follow up with those answers during a meeting in person.

However, as Madonsela's final day in office neared his answers were not forthcoming and a promised letter in reply never materialised.

Zuma committed to respond during a meeting on 6 October, nearing the end of Madonsela's end of term. He has yet to do so.

The interdict application will be heard on 2 November.

Click on the video for more.

Follow us

SEND US YOUR VIDEO

Have you captured the next viral video? Are you on the scene of a big news event? Share your video with us and it could be featured on News24 Video! Email video@news24.com. Tweet a reply