Crackdown on unsafe buses

The North West department of  public safety will test 600 buses for roadworthiness, MEC Howard Yawa said on Monday.

Yawa said his department would test the buses during the next 10 days, starting on Tuesday.

"The operation is intended to guarantee a safer bus transport system during and beyond Easter and leading up to the Soccer World Cup in June," said Yawa.

The operation would be structured in such a way that it didn't unnecessarily disrupt the routine operations.

"Official instruction has, as per Road Traffic Act, been given to all bus companies to avail their buses for roadworthiness tests at testing centres in their respective municipalities."

Buses found in a critical condition would be removed from the roads.

"Those found with minor defects would be subjected to another round of tests after repairs," said Yawa.

Last year, 23 buses were scrapped off the road in a similar operation when 345 buses were tested.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24