11 miners confirmed dead in latest China mine blast

2016-12-08 09:58
Coal (File, iStock)

Coal (File, iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Beijing – The bodies of miners missing in an underground gas explosion in central China have been found, bringing to 11 the total who died in the latest deadly accident to strike China's mining industry, according to a local authority on Thursday.

Seven miners previously had been confirmed dead in the blast that happened Monday night in Hubei province. Five miners were able to escape immediately after the blast.

The propaganda department in Badong county where the mine was located said on Thursday that the cause of the blast was still under investigation. It said all coal mines in the county of 500 000 should suspend production so they can be inspected.

It identified the miners as having come from other provinces in China.

Monday's blast was the third major mining incident in one week, causing more than 60 deaths.

Read more on:    china  |  mine deaths
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.