9/11 victim identified 12 years later

2013-06-22 09:30
The World Trade Centre memorial. (File, AP)

The World Trade Centre memorial. (File, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

New York - A 43-year-old woman killed in the 11 September attacks in New York has been identified, bringing the total number of identified victims to 1 636, authorities said on Friday.

"The identification was made by retesting of remains recovered during the original recovery" in World Trade Center debris, said Ellen Borakove, a spokesperson for the office of the chief medical examiner.

She said the office will not release the woman's name at the request of the family.

A total of 2 753 people were reported missing in the attacks on the World Trade Centre in New York, when al-Qaeda hijackers flew two airliners into the Twin Towers.

A third plane was flown into the Pentagon, while a fourth crashed in a Pennsylvania field after its passengers tried to overpower the hijackers.

To date, only 59% of the New York victims have been identified and no trace has been found of the remaining 41%.

A new search for human remains was launched near the site in April after a piece of plane wreckage was found stuck between two buildings. But no new remains were found.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.