Bodies of 8 UK victims leave Tunisia: Embassy

2015-07-01 16:09
A British Royal air force plane takes off from the Tunis military airport, in the Tunisian capital, transporting coffins containing the bodies of British victims of a beach attack by a jihadists gunman. (Kenzo Tribouillard, AFP)

A British Royal air force plane takes off from the Tunis military airport, in the Tunisian capital, transporting coffins containing the bodies of British victims of a beach attack by a jihadists gunman. (Kenzo Tribouillard, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Tunis - The bodies of eight of at least 26 Britons killed in last week's jihadist attack on a Tunisian beach resort were set to be flown home on Wednesday, a British embassy source said.

"Eight victims are being repatriated," the source said, as an AFP correspondent at a military airport near Tunis witnessed the plane take off.

The Foreign Office confirmed that these are the first bodies to be repatriated, with more expected in the coming days.

"This will be the first of a number of repatriations into RAF Brize Norton," it said in a statement referring to a Royal Air Force base northwest of London.

On Friday, 23-year-old Tunisian Seifeddine Rezgui pulled a Kalashnikov assault rifle from inside a beach umbrella and went on a bloody rampage at the five-star RIU Imperial Marhaba hotel in Port El Kantaoui, killing 38 people.

The death toll among Britons was the worst loss of life for Britain in a jihadist attack since the July 2005 bombings in London.

But British officials have said the number of victims may well rise to 30.

And Prime Minister David Cameron has vowed a full investigation, calling for "a response at home and abroad" to violent Islamic fundamentalism.

British police have sent forensic experts to Tunisia to help investigate the attack.

The 25 British tourists who were wounded in the attack have already been flown home, while 4,000 terrified holidaymakers were repatriated at the weekend. Another 1 900 due to return home in the coming days.

Read more on:    uk  |  tunisia  |  tunisia attack

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News
 

Man scores date with tennis superstar after Twitter bet

It’s a modern day Cinderella story, but one American man took ‘shoot your shot’ seriously in 2017.

 
 

You won't want to miss...

6 myths about male cancer
Who are the highest paid models of 2017?
10 gorgeous plus-sized models who aren't Ashley Graham
5 top leg exercises for men
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.