Frantic mom cleared of son's death

2013-04-05 14:02

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Lubbock - The mother of a dying 3-year-old adopted Russian boy was frantic and crying as she tried to revive her son, while emergency personnel raced to her rural Texas home, a newly released recording revealed.

The boy, born Maxim Kuzmin, died 21 January after his mother found him unresponsive outside their home.

Authorities have said the boy likely suffered the fatal internal injuries to an artery during 10 minutes that Laura Shatto was in the bathroom.

Four pathologists reviewed the autopsy report and ruled Max's death to be accidental.

The death has brought fresh anger in Russia about the way they say children adopted from the country by US parents are treated.

Officials released the tape of the 20-minute call after grand jurors decided 18 March not to indict Shatto and her husband, Alan, in their son's death.

Russian officials have expressed disbelief at the decision not to charge the Shattos and blame them for the boy's death.

Laura Shatto told an emergency operator on 21 January that her son wasn't breathing.

Later, she was heard pleading for help as she performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on him. Shatto said she wasn't sure what happened, and that she left Max playing outside while she went to use the bathroom in her home.

She told the operator her son was autistic, self-injurious and on medication.

Max Shatto's younger half-brother was nearby during the emergency call, and he can be heard occasionally crying.

"Mama's not hurting him," she said to him. "Mama's trying to help."

The Shattos adopted the boys last year.

Marks on Max’s body

Max had more than 30 bruises and other marks on his body as well as signs that he was routinely injured by accident, according to an autopsy report.

A medical examiner's investigator wrote that she found abrasions, scrapes and bruises from head to toe on Max's body.

Alan Shatto told authorities that Max hit his head against items in the home and had serious behavioural problems.

He said a doctor had prescribed the anti-psychotic drug Risperidone, but the couple stopped giving Max the drug after about four days after reading about the side effects, and because it appeared the boy was having trouble swallowing.

Laura Shatto reported that three days before his death, Max nearly choked on a cooked carrot.

She said he tended to bang his head and claw himself, which she tried to prevent by cutting his nails short and having him wear gloves at night.

Read more on:    us  |  russia

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.