Indian diplomat quits New Zealand after wife accused of assault

2015-06-27 16:59

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Wellington - Delhi's top diplomat in New Zealand said on Saturday he would return to India but denied that his relocation was linked to accusations that his wife had assaulted a staff member.

Police said a member of staff at the Indian diplomatic mission alleged he was assaulted by Sharmila Thapar, the wife of High Commissioner Ravi Thapar, but declined to lay a formal complaint.

A removal van was at Thapar's Wellington home on Saturday morning where Sharmila Thapar refused to answer questions.

However, Ravi Thapar denied any suggestions a staff member had been assaulted and said he was returning to India to care for his mother.

"I'm going but to take care of my mum because my dad passed away last year. I can't keep up 13 000km away just talking to her on the phone," he told reporters.

Medical issues

He added his wife continued to suffer the effects of a car accident, sometimes wore a neck support, and would not have assaulted anyone.

"It's very, very absurd that a lady of 50 plus with these medical issues could confront or could even think of or even conceptualise assaulting a physically able-bodied person of about 26 years old," he told Fairfax Media.

A New Zealand foreign ministry (MFAT) spokesperson confirmed to the New Zealand Herald that they were aware the high commissioner - the equivalent of ambassador in Commonwealth countries - was leaving.

"MFAT was aware a staff member raised with New Zealand police concerns about his treatment in the high commission," the spokesperson said.

"MFAT has been advised the individual concerned elected not to take the matter further. That staff member had independent legal representation and decided to return to India."

Further questions

New Zealand officials said further questions about Thapar's departure should be directed to India's ministry of external affairs.

The staff member was taken to the Wellington police station in early May when he was found wandering the streets in a distressed state after walking nearly 20km from the high commission.

Thapar also rejected allegations that the man had been kept in slavery, saying he was free to move about at all times.

"He was the custodian of the house, he had our implicit and complete trust. He had the keys. Everything was open," Thapar said.

"The question of slavery doesn't arise. That means someone who is not allowed to leave. Not at all. He had adequate, and umpteen dozens of opportunities [to leave]."

Read more on:    new zealand

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.