Kidnapped Hong Kong tycoon rescued in Taiwan

2015-10-28 12:10

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Taipei - A kidnapped Hong Kong tycoon has been freed in a dramatic rescue after he was held captive for more than a month by criminals who demanded a $9m ransom, Taiwan authorities said on Wednesday.

Wong Yuk-kwan, also known as Wong Kwan, the chairperson of Hong Kong-listed Pearl Oriental Oil exploration company, was found manacled and beaten up on Tuesday in a village in western Taiwan after being abducted outside the capital Taipei on September 20, according to authorities.

Television footage of the rescue operation showed the 67-year-old looking scrawny and frightened as he sat on the floor of a barren room with his feet cuffed.

His faced was bruised and he was clutching his legs, which were covered in cuts.

Fifteen people were arrested over the abduction, including a man suspected of masterminding the kidnapping, according to the authorities.

"They sent an e-mail requesting a ransom of HK$70m (US$9m)," an official from New Taipei City police told AFP.

"We are assisting the Hong Kong police with the investigation on their end as well," he said, adding that no ransom was paid.

His company was unavailable for comment when contacted by AFP.

The businessman, who according to Taiwan media reports was in Taipei for medical treatment, was charged in Hong Kong along with three other Pearl Oriental Oil executives in 2013 for fraud and money laundering relating to the acquisition of an oil field in the United States.

Two defendants were found guilty earlier this year and sentenced to seven years and five years in jail respectively.

Wong's trial has not yet concluded.

Pearl Oriental Oil's main business is oil and gas exploration and the company is valued at HK$957m. Its main asset is an oilfield in Utah, according to its website.

Hong Kong has a long history of kidnap targeting high-profile members of the business community.

In April, a Hong Kong textiles heiress was abducted and released three days later, after her family paid her captors a ransom of HK$28m.

Nine people were arrested over the abduction after Hong Kong authorities launched a massive operation to hunt down the suspected kidnappers.

Read more on:    hong kong  |  taiwan

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.