News24

Man dies after cockroach-eating contest

2012-10-09 10:03

Miami — The winner of a cockroach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said on Monday.

About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 64km north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

Edward Archbold, aged 32, became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff's Office statement released on Monday.

He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

"Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat," said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, who added that he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches.

"Some people do have allergies to roaches," he said, "but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."

Participants signed waivers

None of the other contestants became ill, the sheriff's office said.

"We feel terribly awful," said store owner Ben Siegel, who added that Archbold did not appear to be sick before the contest. "He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice," Siegel said, adding that Archbold was "the life of the party".

Siegel said Archbold was selling the exotic prize to a friend who took him to the contest.

A statement from Siegel's attorney said all the participants signed waivers "accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest".

The bugs consumed were from an inventory of insects "that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles".

Comments
  • bart.mitchell.393 - 2012-10-09 10:18

    Stupid hurts

      squeegee.pilot - 2012-10-09 12:07

      Hope its not contagious.. wait, wasn't there an outbreak at the FYL meetings?

  • christina.setloboko - 2012-10-09 10:38

    "food for reptiles not human" results of gambling with your life.

  • sarah.bouttell - 2012-10-09 10:55

    Darwin award? Dingbat.

      squeegee.pilot - 2012-10-09 12:06

      Dead dingbat..

  • sello.r.molefe - 2012-10-09 10:55

    What a chop...

  • mkansig - 2012-10-09 10:56

    I am sorry to the family of this guy . It was a way of him to die .

  • obadia.segwape - 2012-10-09 11:08

    payback

  • DrSello101 - 2012-10-09 12:44

    Darwin Award

  • luvo.luvos - 2012-10-09 13:45

    Ag sies man, is there nothing else to do down there, eating roaches for Petes sake??

  • arne.verhoef - 2012-10-09 16:50

    Gluttony will kill you

  • johan.louw.399 - 2012-10-09 18:42

    GOOD, I hope they all die from eating cockroaches and scorpions. I don't see the point they want to make eating insects!!

  • pages:
  • 1