Mother sets herself on fire

2012-11-18 08:45

Beijing - Activists say a Tibetan woman has died after becoming the latest of dozens to set herself on fire to protest Chinese rule.

The Washington-based International Campaign for Tibet says Chagmo Kyi, a taxi driver with two children, self-immolated on Saturday afternoon in a square in Tongren county in western China's Qinghai province.

The group says it was the eighth self-immolation in the Tongren area since 4 November and the 75th in ethnically Tibetan areas since February 2009.

According to the group, hundreds of Tibetans were surrounded by troops as they attended the women's cremation at a site where monks and lamas are usually cremated.

Authorities in the area either refused to comment or said they hadn't heard about the self-immolation. Calls to Tongren police rang unanswered.

  • sicelo.brukwe.9 - 2012-11-18 08:56

    I rest my case!

  • Ntutu Dlova - 2012-11-18 09:05

    That's commitment

  • charmaine.mcdonald2 - 2012-11-18 13:18

    Which God do they pray to?

  • nick.sailer - 2012-11-18 13:50

    Whilst I am no fan of Chinese communism, the return of Tibetan rule to the Lama class would be akin to Mr J Zuma 'returning' SA to traditional African feudal rule and doing away with all modern advancements. It would be a serious step backwards. The Lama class system is an archaiac feudal system of religious government based on a 9 tier class system where only the top 5% of the population are permitted access to education, healthcare and infrastructure, and the remaining 95% were kept in various classes of servitude, slavery and poverty (sound familiar?). By banishing the ruling class from Tibet (the Dalai Lama and Lama class), the Chinese have effectively improved the situation for most remaining Tibetans, who now have access to education, basic infrastructure, healthcare and participation in the economy. Perhaps the Lama class and the Dalai Lama have learnt a little humility and modernised their ideas, but when they were in power their regime was cruel and heartless in the extreme. In the west Buddism has been considered a peaceful religion, but what is forgotten is that as with all organisations where some claim a closer link to the almighty, there is strife, bitterness, jeolousy, dishonesty, oppression and death and destruction. The Lama class (yellow hat Buddists) were the most oppressive, warlike and destructive of the Buddist sects (who knew?). Those monks who immolate themselves are no better that Islamist suicide bombers, at least they only kill themselves.

  • pages:
  • 1