New MERS cases slow despite deaths

2015-06-12 12:22
Members of South Korean army medical services wear protective gears to help treat patients with Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, MERS virus at Dae Cheong hospital in Daejeon, South Korea, Friday, June 12 2015. (Lee Jae-lim/Yonhap, AP)

Members of South Korean army medical services wear protective gears to help treat patients with Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, MERS virus at Dae Cheong hospital in Daejeon, South Korea, Friday, June 12 2015. (Lee Jae-lim/Yonhap, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Seoul - South Korea on Friday reported its 11th death from Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), but health officials urged people go about their day-to-day lives as normal, saying the rate of new cases was slowing.

In what has become the largest outbreak of the virus outside Saudi Arabia, a 72-year-old woman died on Friday after being infected by a MERS patient at a hospital, the health ministry said.

The number of new cases, however, fell to four, down from 14 the previous day and 13 on Wednesday, bringing to 126 the total number of people in South Korea diagnosed with the virus.

Currently, 3 680 people are under quarantine, down from 3 805 the previous day. A total of 1 249 people have been released from quarantine, including 294 on Friday.

"The number of newly confirmed cases has fallen sharply and there are little risks of the virus spreading through airborne transmissions or to communities outside hospital settings", the ministry said in a statement.

"Therefore, we ask the people to conquer their fear and engage in day-to-day business", it said.

On Thursday, the outbreak forced the central Bank of Korea to cut its key interest rate by 0.25 percentage points as the spread of the virus dampened already weak consumer sentiment.

Businesses including shopping malls, restaurants and cinemas have reported a sharp drop in sales as people shun public venues with large crowds.

More than 54 000 foreign travellers have cancelled planned trips to South Korea so far this month, according to the Korea Tourism Board.

Following criticism that the government bungled the initial response, a Seoul hospital was closed temporarily over fears the facility might be another source of mass infection, the first such closure in the capital.

Mediheal Hospital will remain shut until June 23, a Seoul City spokesman told AFP.

A total of 52 healthcare facilities including 18 in Seoul and 16 in the surrounding Gyeonggi Province have been exposed to the virus.

Pyeongtaek St Mary's hospital in Pyeongtaek City, where the first wave of 37 patients were diagnosed, will also remain closed until Friday, based on the incubation period for the disease.

But Samsung Medical Centre, where 58 out of the 126 confirmed infected people contracted the disease – the biggest single group – remains open after being sanitised.

The first infected patient was diagnosed on May 20 after a trip to Saudi Arabia.

The 68-year-old man visited four medical facilities, infecting other patients and medics, before he was finally diagnosed.

Read more on:    south korea  |  health

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/World
 

WATCH: Man films himself going down water slide upside down as things go very wrong…

What is at first an exciting tummy-turning adventure stunt, quickly turns into a scarily bad idea caught on camera. Take a look:

 
 

You won't want to miss...

WATCH: Conor McGregor: Notorious the trailer
Best date night restaurants in South Africa
WATCH: Ryan Reynolds offers fans a free tattoo in new Deadpool 2 teaser
Should you date your co-worker?
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.