News24

Nightclub fire: Horror find in bathroom

2013-01-27 22:00

Brasilia - Brazilian rescue workers have told how they found 50 bodies piled into a bathroom at the nightclub in Santa Maria, where a fire killed at least 230 people.

The blaze raced through the crowded nightclub early on Sunday, killing at least 232 people as the air filled with deadly smoke and panicked party-goers stampeded toward the exits, police and witnesses said.

Witnesses said that a flare or firework lit by band members may have started the fire.

Television images showed smoke pouring out of the Kiss nightclub as shirtless, young male partygoers joined firefighters in wielding axes and sledgehammers, pounding at windows and walls to break through to those trapped inside.

Teenagers sprinted from the scene desperately trying to find help. Others carried injured and burned friends away in their arms.

"There was so much smoke and fire, it was complete panic and it took a long time for people to get out, there were so many dead," survivor Luana Santos Silva told the Globo TV network.

Silva added that firefighters and ambulances responded quickly after the fire broke out, but that it spread too fast inside the packed club for them to help.

Michele Pereira, another survivor, told the Folha de S Paulo newspaper that she was near the stage and that the fire broke out after members of the band lit flares.

"The band that was onstage began to use flares and, suddenly, they stopped the show and pointed them upward. At that point the ceiling caught fire. It was really weak, but in a matter of seconds it spread," Pereira said.

Most of the dead apparently suffocated, according to Dr Paulo Afonso Beltrame, a professor at the medical school of the Federal University of Santa Maria who raced the city's Caridade Hospital to help victims.

He said survivors, police and firefighters told him a flare set by a band member set the ceiling's soundproofing ablaze. "

Large amounts of toxic smoke quickly filled the room and I would say that at least 90% of the victims died of asphyxiation," Beltrame told The Associated Press by telephone.

"The toxic smoke made people lose their sense of direction so they were unable to find their way to the exit. At least 50 bodies were found inside a bathroom. Apparently they confused the bathroom door with the exit door."

"In the hospital I saw desperate friends and relatives walking and running down the corridors looking for information. It was one of the saddest scenes I have ever witnessed," he added.

Rodrigo Moura, identified by the newspaper Diario de Santa Maria as a security guard at the club, said it was at its maximum capacity of between 1 000 and 2 000, and partygoers were pushing and shoving to escape.

Beltrame also said he was told the club was filled far past its capacity during a party for students at the university's department of agronomy.

The event featured a group called Gurizada Fandangueira, which plays a driving mixture of local Brazilian country music styles. It was not immediately clear if the band members were among the victims.

The fire led President Dilma Roussef to cancel a series of meetings at a summit of Latin American and European leaders in Chile's capital of Santiago, and was headed to Santa Maria, according to the Brazilian foreign ministry.

"It is a tragedy for all of us. I am not going to continue in the meeting [in Chile] for very clear reasons," she said.


Comments
  • Senzo Jwara - 2013-01-27 22:36

    talk abt dying doin wht u lav. how tragic!!!!RIP

  • simba.mandiveyi - 2013-01-27 23:22

    Sad...

  • pieter.visser.9883 - 2013-01-28 02:35

    I love the very accurate discription of the maximum amount of people allowed inside at about 1000 to 2000...priceless.

  • raphael.carvalho.9883 - 2013-01-28 03:20

    The saddest day in the country of the last 30 years. Of the 232 killed, 131 were students of the Federal University of Santa Maria.

  • Chris - 2013-01-28 05:06

    tragic

  • man.zanilla.73 - 2013-01-28 05:51

    Maybe!!!!! The band should consider changing their name to "El Stupidooo"

  • Tuyez - 2013-01-28 06:00

    Tragic lose of young minds.

  • claudette.davis.79 - 2013-01-28 06:14

    This is so tragic.RIP

  • Michael Kleber - 2013-01-28 06:35

    charge the band idiots

      nick.joubert.3 - 2013-01-28 13:01

      Agreed - if the band members themselves even survived... Just saying.

  • siliziwem - 2013-01-28 07:02

    Illuminati

  • joe.laubscher.3 - 2013-01-28 07:15

    Sad ,very sad,condolences to friends and family may all the deceased Rip

  • Starlight3 - 2013-01-28 07:49

    What a terrible, preventable tragedy! My thoughts are with all who lost loved ones!

  • makhosonke.mqikela - 2013-01-28 08:05

    232 people to die in a one go? It's realy a tragedy. Condolences to the affected families...

  • stan.luthuli - 2013-01-28 08:19

    to all those making jokes about the 'roof/party being on fire' or any other twisted remarks, I hope you know that the fires are stocked and satan's imps are waiting for you in hell!!

  • shamus.mossop - 2013-02-02 11:11

    This was not a tradgedy, It was stupidity.... Those members of the band and the owners of the club should be held fully responsible. Who lights flares in an enclosed space like that? Idiots... And then the bouncers stopping people from leaving cause they thought they were trying to skip out on bar tabs? MAKE sure these people can never run a club again...

  • pages:
  • 1