Sandy Hook school evacuated after threat

2014-10-01 23:59
Flowers and toys lay near the US Embassy in Moscow, Russia. The massacre of 26 children and adults at Sandy Hook Elementary school in the US elicited horror and soul-searching around the world. (AFP)

Flowers and toys lay near the US Embassy in Moscow, Russia. The massacre of 26 children and adults at Sandy Hook Elementary school in the US elicited horror and soul-searching around the world. (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Monroe - A bomb threat called into Sandy Hook Elementary School on Wednesday led authorities to order students, including many who lived through the 2012 massacre when a lone gunman killed 20 first-graders, out of the building.

Police checked the school building and grounds after the threat was received at 09:30 and did not find evidence of danger, according to the Monroe police's Lieutenant Brian McCauley. He said the evacuation was ordered as a precaution and the investigation is continuing.

A statement said all students and staff were safe and the building and grounds would be thoroughly searched. 

After the December 2012 shootings, students enrolled at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown began taking classes at a school in the neighbouring town of Monroe, also called Sandy Hook Elementary. The original school building was torn down last year.

Classes were dismissed early and students were moved to a nearby school in Monroe to be picked up by their parents, according to Nancy Bartosik of the Monroe superintendent's office. Newtown police responded to the site along with Monroe police.

Adam Lanza killed the first-graders and six teachers at the school on 14 December 2012. Lanza also shot his mother in their Newtown home before going on the rampage and then committing suicide.

Federal investigators have taken interest in earlier threats to Newtown. In June, Wilfrido Cardenas Hoffman, of Venezuela, was arrested at a Miami airport and charged with making threatening phone calls to Newtown residents in the days following the shooting.

His defence attorneys say he had received psychiatric care in his home country.

Read more on:    us  |  us school shooting

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.