News24

Teen dies after drinking party drink

2013-01-06 08:47

Sydney - An Australian teenager died in a Perth hospital on Sunday from methanol poisoning after drinking a contaminated cocktail served him at a bar on the Indonesian holiday island of Lombok.

Liam Davies, 19, fell ill on New Year's Day and was flown back home for treatment.

"We would like to make people aware of the risks associated with consuming locally brewed drinks where you cannot be certain of the quality," his family said in a statement published by the West Australian newspaper.

Davies is the latest holidaymaker to suffer the effects of methanol, a by-product in the distillation of alcoholic cocktails often sold to those visiting Bali and Lombok as Jungle Juice.

An 18-year-old Australian nurse holidaying in Bali last month went blind after drinking a local brew laced with methanol.

In September 2011, Perth-based New Zealander Michael Denton died in Bali from suspected methanol poisoning.

Comments
  • wonderboy.ngubeni - 2013-01-06 08:56

    African traditional beer is boss, not these exotic drinks laced with all sorts of deadly stuff to make it potent

      Madoqua - 2013-01-06 11:32

      Wonderboy within the context of the story the 'exotic drink' is the local Indonesian brew equivalent of the traditional African brews such as sorghum beer, llapalm wine or even mampoer (possibly with some distillation). With the brewing, fermentation and distillation of all these products there is some chance of producing methanol especially if the process goes wrong as when there is microbial contamination(e.g. bacteria). PS I like your black J e s u s profile pic.

  • Gert.M.Bosman - 2013-01-06 09:51

    To distil your own spirits at home in a legal, safe and informed manner, without any danger of poisoning yourself, visit www.distillique.co.za. Home distilling can be great fun when done legally and in the correct manner.

  • Rudluv7 - 2013-01-06 11:16

    u'll never hear about sum1 dying from smoking weed....smoke nd fly

  • neil.goodwin.921 - 2013-01-06 11:46

    You could always smell the petrol in the Arak (rice wine) gerry cans brought ashore in Indonesia when I was there. Serving it up in a coconut with sprite helped to hide the odour. I'm not surprised that someone died from this, but of all the hundreds of thousands of 'jungle jiuces' consumed over the years, the risk is still very, very tiny, and the experience well worth it.

  • Ntutu Dlova - 2013-01-06 13:25

    Is it a coincidence or is someone targeting Aussies in Bali?

  • pages:
  • 1