Argentina no longer looking for survivors from missing submarine

2017-12-01 08:17
Navy spokesperson Enrique Balbi walks away from the podium after taking part in a press conference at Navy headquarters in Buenos Aires. (Esteban Felix, AP)

Navy spokesperson Enrique Balbi walks away from the podium after taking part in a press conference at Navy headquarters in Buenos Aires. (Esteban Felix, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Buenos Aires — Argentina's navy said on Thursday that it is no longer looking for survivors among the 44 sailors aboard a submarine missing for 15 days, though a multinational operation will continue searching for the vessel.

Hopes of finding survivors had already dimmed because experts said the crew had only enough oxygen to last 7 to 10 days if the sub remained intact under the sea.

The navy also had said an explosion was detected near the time and place where the ARA San Juan made its last contact with shore November 15.

Navy spokesperson Enrique Balbi said the rescue mission had "extended for more than twice what is estimated for a rescue".

"We've had 28 ships, nine aircraft, 4 000 people involved, 18 countries supporting," he told reporters. "Despite the magnitude of these efforts, we've been unable to find the submarine."

No longer rescue mission

Balbi said the search was no longer considered a rescue mission, but the hunt would go on for the missing sub.

Some relatives of the crew broke into tears after they received the news.

"I don't understand this arbitrary and unjustified decision," Luis Tagliapietra, the father of 27-year-old crew member Alejandro Tagliapietra, told local TV. "It's unusually cruel. Every day, it's a new blow. I'm destroyed."

The navy has said the vessel's captain reported that water entered the snorkel and caused one of the submarine's batteries to short circuit. The captain later communicated by satellite phone that the problem had been contained.

Some hours later, an explosion was detected near the time and place where the San Juan was last heard from.

A navy spokesperson said this week that the blast could have been triggered by a "concentration of hydrogen" caused by the battery problem reported by the captain.

The search for the San Juan has employed some of the latest technology in one of the largest efforts of its kind.

So far, aircraft have flown some 557000 nautical miles, while ships have searched more than a million nautical miles in the frigid South Atlantic, the navy said.

A Norwegian ship carrying the US Navy's underwater remotely operated vehicle and its pressurised rescue module was returning to the Patagonian port of Comodoro Rivadavia to resupply before setting out again to search for the sub.

The US Navy also said on Thursday that its Cable-operated Unmanned Recovery Vehicle 21 had been deployed to join the search efforts after Argentina shifted its focus to undersea assets capable of deep seafloor searches.

Relatives hit hard

Some family members have denounced the navy's response to the sub's disappearance as well as the age and condition of the vessel. President Mauricio Macri has promised a full investigation.

The San Juan, a German-built diesel-electric TR-1700 class submarine, was commissioned in the 1980s and was most recently refitted in 2014.

During the $12m retrofitting, the vessel was cut in half and had its engines and batteries replaced.

Experts say refits can be difficult because they involve integrating systems produced by different manufacturers, and even the tiniest mistake during the cutting phase can put the safety of the ship and crew at risk.

At the sub's home naval base in Mar del Plata, relatives were hit hard by Thursday's announcement.

Some hugged and fell on their knees sobbing near a fence crowded with blue-and-white Argentine flags, rosary beads and messages of support. Others took to social media to pay homage to their loved ones.

"I stay with this image," Jesica Gopar, said in a tweet that included a photo of her husband, submarine officer Fernando Santilli, smiling and holding their young son in his arms.

"He's the most beautiful being that God could have put on my path 13 years ago," she wrote. "He's a hero who must be recognised along with his 43 other crew members. I hope you didn't suffer my love."


Read more on:    argentina

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.