Australia's refugees refuse to leave Papua New Guinea camp

2017-10-23 22:08
Protesters gather ahead of a march in Sydney against the moving of refugees in Papua New Guinea. (Peter Parks, AFP)

Protesters gather ahead of a march in Sydney against the moving of refugees in Papua New Guinea. (Peter Parks, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Canberra - More than 600 asylum seekers are refusing to leave an immigration camp on Papua New Guinea that Australia wants to close next week, Australian officials said on Monday.

Australia pays Papua New Guinea, its nearest neighbour, and the tiny Pacific island nation of Nauru to house asylum seekers who attempt to reach the Australian coast by boat. The United States has resettled 54 of them in recent weeks and is considering taking almost 1 200 more.

The Papua New Guinea Supreme Court ruled in April last year that the male-only camp at the Manus Island naval base was unconstitutional and ordered it be closed.

Papua New Guinea responded by opening the camp gates so that asylum seekers would no longer be locked up and the Australian and Papua New Guinea governments agreed in April that the camp would be closed by October 31.

Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection deputy commissioner Mandy Newton told a Senate committee that 606 men refused to leave the Manus camp and move to accommodation in the township of Lorengau, about half an hour's drive away.

Department secretary Mike Pezzullo said they would be trespassing on the naval base on November 1 if they did not leave. Food, water, electricity and other services would be cut off at the end of October, Newton said.

Pezzullo rejected a suggestion by Senator Nick McKim, of the minor Greens party, that the men were too scared to leave Manus because refugees were assaulted in Lorengau by locals and attacked with machetes.

"Their concern, frankly, is that by moving from the [Manus] Regional Processing Centre ... that somehow they're a step further away from ever coming to Australia," Pezzullo said.

"It's the policy of this government, indeed it's the law of this country that those people will never come to Australia," he added.

Refugee advocate Ian Rintoul, spokesperson for Australia's Refugee Action Coalition, said refugees were being attacked and robbed daily outside the Manus fences and the men were concerned that the accommodation available at Lorengau was still under construction and was less secure.

"It's completely unacceptable that after more than four years the Australian government still refuses to solve the problem by taking the refugees to a safe place and instead is trying to send them to another hell," Rintoul said.

Nine people were injured in April when navy personnel fired into the Manus camp during a clash between locals and asylum seekers.

A refugee, who gave his name only as Behr, wrote in July that "there is no safety and security for us in the town".

"We have been beaten up, robbed, humiliated and insulted by locals almost every single day," Behr wrote.

The first intake of refugees settled in the United States under a President Barack Obama-era deal included 25 from Papua New Guinea and 29 from Nauru. President Donald Trump described the deal as "dumb", but agreed to honour it.

Those in Papua New Guinea who are not accepted by the United States can go to Nauru or if they are bona fide refugees, settle in Papua New Guinea or Cambodia.

Australia also pays refugees and those whose protection claims are rejected US$25 000 each to return to their home country, Newton said. Papua New Guinea has forcibly sent home six asylum seekers, she said.

Australia will not settle any refugees who try to arrive by boat - a policy that the government says dissuades asylum seekers from attempting the dangerous ocean crossing from Indonesia.

Australia has also prevented boats from reaching Australia since July 2014 by using the Australian navy to turn boats back.

Read more on:    papua new guinea  |  australia

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts

Jobs in Cape Town [change area]

Jobs in Western Cape region

HSE Manager

Cape Town
Tumaini Consulting
R550 000.00 - R650 000.00 Per Year

IT Manager (contract)

Cape Town CBD
Communicate Cape Town IT
R330 000.00 - R458 000.00 Per Year

Reporting Accountant

Cape Town
Network Finance Professional / Prudential
R310 000.00 - R360 000.00 Per Year

Property [change area]

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.