Court told money short for US Missouri death row inmate defence

2016-08-23 09:22
Mark Christeson (AP).

Mark Christeson (AP).

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

St. Louis — Five legal groups are supporting a Missouri death row inmate, whose execution was halted hours before it was to be carried out in 2014, saying that he can't receive an adequate defence with the money allocated.

Three national criminal defence associations, a civil rights law firm and the American Bar Association made court filings last week to the 8th US Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis on behalf of Mark Christeson, convicted of the 1998 killings of a Missouri woman and her two children.

The US Supreme Court halted the execution because Christeson's original trial attorneys missed the federal appeal deadline. Virtually all capital cases are appealed through the federal courts.

New lawyers were appointed, but a district court provided only $10 000 of the $161 000 sought.

The new attorneys can't afford to bring in experts to testify that Christeson's mental impairment left him unable to assert his own rights when his trial lawyers failed to adequately do their job, the defender groups said.

Janet Moore, co-chair of the Amicus Committee for the National Association for Public Defence, said in a statement on Monday that failure to provide adequate funding for indigent capital defendants has "created an untenable system, where counsel are unable to satisfy constitutional and ethical demands."

Christeson was 18 in 1998 when he and a 17-year-old cousin, Jesse Carter, decided to run away from a home outside Vichy, Missouri, where they were living with a relative. They walked just under a kilometre to the neighbouring home of Susan Brouk, armed with shotguns, planning to steal her Ford Bronco.

But once there, they used shoelaces to tie the hands of Brouk's two children. Christeson forced Brouk into a bedroom and raped her. They drove the family to a pond where Brouk and one of the children were stabbed and thrown into the water to drown. The other child suffocated when Christeson pressed on her throat while his cousin held her.

Christeson and Carter fled to California, where a detective recognised them from photos police distributed and arrested them. Carter agreed to testify against Christeson and was sentenced to life in prison.

Read more on:    us

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.