Driver found guilty of murdering six in Australia car rampage

2018-11-13 19:27

A driver who deliberately mowed down shoppers in the heart of Australia's second-largest city, killing six people and injuring 27, was found guilty of murder by a jury on Tuesday.

James Gargasoulas, 28, pleaded not guilty to the January 2017 rampage on Melbourne's Bourke Street, which police determined was not terror-related.

Bourke street, a popular shopping and restaurant area, was the scene of a deadly knife attack and attempted car bombing last Friday which police called a terror attack and which left two men dead, including the attacker.

The Supreme Court jury took less than an hour to find Gargasoulas guilty of 33 charges – six of murder and 27 of reckless conduct endangering life.

Those killed included a three-month-old baby in a pram, a 10-year-old girl and a Japanese student.

Victims and families wiped away tears as the jury foreman read out the guilty verdicts after the one-week trial, Melbourne's Herald Sun reported.

Prosecutor Kerri Judd earlier told the jury that "this is the clearest case of criminal liability that you will ever come across", the newspaper added.

Gargasoulas had told the court on Monday that he apologised "from the heart" for his actions.

"But that's not going to fix anything if I say sorry. Neither will a lengthy sentence fix what I've done."

He did not deny his involvement in the carnage – which took place near Melbourne Park where top tennis stars were playing in the opening Grand Slam of the year – and went on a rant, speaking about premonitions, with the judge having to interrupt him.

A plea hearing is scheduled for January 29 next year.

Another car rampage took place in December on nearby Flinders Street, leaving one person dead and more than a dozen injured.

Since then, Australian cities have boosted protections against vehicle attacks, including the installation of bollards and barriers.

The government also released a guide for businesses and local governments in August last year on how vulnerable their sites were to attacks and how to make them safer, with the report commissioned after deadly vehicle assaults in Barcelona, Nice and London.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.