Elephant that travelled 1 700km dies in Bangladesh

2016-08-16 12:01

Dhaka - An elephant thought to have travelled at least 1 700 kilometres from India into Bangladesh after becoming separated from its herd by floods died on Tuesday despite last-ditch efforts to save him.

The distressed animal was tranquillised three times in sometimes dramatic bids to try to transport him to a safari park in Bangladesh, after he washed across the border in late June.

He was eventually given huge amounts of saline and chained in a paddy field in a northern village to help him recover, but he was "too weak and tired" from his ordeal, officials said.

A file photograph taken on August 11 shows the tranquillised wild elephant lying on the ground after being pulled from a pond by Bangladesh forest officials and villagers in the Jamalpur district, 150 km north of Dhaka. (AFP)

"It took its last breath at around 07:00 (local time)," the government's chief wildlife conservator Ashit Ranjan Paul told AFP.

"We have given our highest effort to save the animal. At least 10 forest rangers, vets and police officers have constantly followed it for the last 48 days. But our luck is bad," he said.

Paul said the animal likely travelled more than 1 700 kilometres from the north-eastern Indian state of Assam after being separated from his herd in severe flooding.

The animal ran amok and charged into a pond after Bangladesh forest officials hit him with a tranquilliser dart last Thursday.

Local villagers jumped into the pond to save the four-ton animal from drowning by stopping it from toppling into the water.

A mahout was also critically injured during another rescue effort on Monday after being kicked by the again tranquillised elephant.

Local media blamed excessive tranquillising for the animal's death, saying he became too weak to stand.

But Paul said the long journey was responsible, adding that rescue efforts had been hampered by the thousands of curious villagers following him.

"In the end it became too tired after travelling such a great length. It had been separated from its herd for about two months and did not get the nutrients that it needed," he said.

"Thousands of villagers followed it every day as it entered into Bangladesh and then travelled to villages and river islands across the Brahmaputra River."

Read more on:    bangladesh  |  elephant

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.