Father disputes pilot guilt on Germanwings crash anniversary

2017-03-24 14:24
Andreas Lubitz (FIle, AP).

Andreas Lubitz (FIle, AP).

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Berlin - Two years to the day after the deadly Germanwings crash in the French Alps, the father of co-pilot Andreas Lubitz will hold a press conference on Friday to dispute that his son deliberately downed the plane.

Both the message and the timing of the first public appearance by a member of Lubitz's close family since the 2015 disaster that claimed 150 lives have been criticised by victims' families, who will be holding their own anniversary events to mark the tragedy.

German prosecutors in January closed their investigation after concluding that Lubitz, 27, was suicidal and bore sole responsibility for the catastrophe.

Now his father, 63-year-old Guenter Lubitz, will present his own findings to reporters alongside journalist Tim van Beveren, whom he called "an internationally recognised aerospace expert".

"Up to now, everyone has believed the theory of a co-pilot who was depressed for a long time, who deliberately crashed his plane into a mountain in a planned act. We are convinced this is false," the father said in a press release.

The daily Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung said that the two men would present the theory of a carbon monoxide leak in the cabin which disabled the co-pilot, who was alone at the controls at the time of the crash.

'A very responsible person' 

Lubitz senior told news weekly Die Zeit that the image of the suicidal loner or cold-blooded killer did not correspond with the man he knew.

"Our son was a very responsible person. He had no reason to plan and carry out a suicide, and certainly not to take another 149 innocent people with him," he said.

He accused investigators of gross negligence, and called for a new probe.

"There were very clearly things that weren't even looked into, perhaps because they didn't want to look into them," he said. Lubitz insisted he was simply seeking answers "just like the other relatives who lost a loved one".

Elmar Giemulla, a lawyer representing several of the victims' families, said this week that Lubitz was waging an "irresponsible" campaign that would rip open old wounds.

"I imagine that Mr Lubitz wants to promote a theory that would absolve his son of any responsibility," Giemulla told the Rheinische Post newspaper.

Prosecutor Christoph Kumpa, whose office led the German investigation, also dismissed Lubitz's accusations.

"There are no indications of a cause of the crash that is not linked to deliberate - presumably suicidal - behaviour," he told DPA news agency.

Disbelief 

Lubitz's parents had already angered the families last year when they placed a heartfelt newspaper advert in their son's memory to mark the first anniversary of the crash.

Entitled simply "Andreas" and featuring a smiling photograph of the co-pilot, the brief text ended with a message to their son in bold letters: "We miss you very much but you are and will remain in our hearts."

They spoke of a year "filled with horror and fear" but did not explicitly mention the 149 other people killed in the crash. Meanwhile the victims' families will devote the anniversary on Friday to remembering their loved ones.

Five hundred people are expected to travel to the French Alpine town of Digne-les-Bains for an ecumenical church service.

Later in the nearby village of Vernet, where the unidentified human remains from the disaster are buried, a memorial will be inaugurated before some relatives continue on the crash site.

And in the western German town of Haltern am See, which lost 16 students and two teachers who were returning from an exchange programme in Spain, their school will hold a commemorative ceremony.

Its principal, Ulrich Wessel, expressed disbelief about Lubitz's planned press conference.

"There are various ways to deal with grief - perhaps also different ways to perceive reality, or not perceive it," he told public broadcaster SWR.

Read more on:    germany  |  air crashes  |  germanwings

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
 

Man scores date with tennis superstar after Twitter bet

It’s a modern day Cinderella story, but one American man took ‘shoot your shot’ seriously in 2017.

 
 

You won't want to miss...

Who are the highest paid models of 2017?
10 gorgeous plus-sized models who aren't Ashley Graham
5 top leg exercises for men
10 best dressed men of 2017
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.