Firm to receive up to $70m if MH370 found in new hunt

2018-01-10 16:59
A mural of missing Malaysian Flight MH370 is displayed in Shah Alam outside Kuala Lumpur. (Joshua Paul, AP)

A mural of missing Malaysian Flight MH370 is displayed in Shah Alam outside Kuala Lumpur. (Joshua Paul, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia signed a deal with an American firm on Wednesday to resume the search for MH370 almost four years after the plane disappeared, with the company to receive up to $70m if successful.

The new hunt, which will last 90 days, is expected to start in mid-January when a high-tech vessel leased by the seabed exploration firm, Ocean Infinity, reaches a new search zone in the southern Indian Ocean.

The Malaysia Airlines jet disappeared in March 2014 with 239 people - mostly from China - on board en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, triggering one of the world's greatest aviation mysteries.

No sign of the plane was found in a 120 000km² search zone selected by satellite analysis of the jet's likely trajectory.

The Australian-led sea search, the largest in aviation history, was suspended in January last year.

But three firms submitted bids to resume the hunt privately and after lengthy negotiations, the Malaysian government agreed to engage Ocean Infinity on a "no find, no fee" basis.

"I would like to reiterate our unwavering commitment towards solving the mystery of MH370," Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said on Wednesday at a signing ceremony for the deal.

The new search zone is an area of approximately 25 000km² in the Indian Ocean.

If the company finds the Boeing 777, the amount they are paid will depend on where it was located, said Liow.

If it is found within the first 5 000km², they will receive $20m. The amount rises gradually to a maximum of $70m if the jet is found outside the 25 000km² search zone.

Relatives welcome decision

Relatives of MH370 passengers welcomed the decision.

"We are grateful the Malaysian government is resuming the search for MH370," V.P.R. Nathan, whose wife Anne Daisy was on the plane, told AFP.

"We do not know what happened, we need to know what happened before we can get closure."

The ship that will conduct the hunt is a Norwegian research vessel named Seabed Constructor, which is carrying 65 crew members and set off from South Africa in early January for the search zone.

It is carrying eight autonomous drones, equipped with sonars and cameras, that will scour the waters in the hunt for the wreckage and can operate in depths up to 6 000 metres.

Only three confirmed fragments of MH370 have been found, all of them on western Indian Ocean shores, including a two-metre wing part known as a flaperon.

Read more on:    malaysia  |  flight mh370  |  air crashes

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.