Human rights court rejects Norway mass killer's appeal

2018-06-21 22:19
Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik. (File, Jonathan Nackstrand, AFP)

Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik. (File, Jonathan Nackstrand, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The European Court of Human Rights rejected an appeal on Thursday by Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik, who claimed his incarceration violated his rights.

The Strasbourg, France-based court said Breivik, who is serving a 21-year sentence for killing 77 people in in 2011, challenged the conditions of his detention, particularly being kept isolated from other prisoners.

But it found his confinement "doesn't reveal any violations" of the 1950 European Convention on Human Rights and therefore "rejected the application as inadmissible for being manifestly ill-founded".

The three judges who considered the case said the decision was final.

Breivik is held in a three-cell complex in Norway where he can play video games, watch TV and exercise. He has complained about the quality of the prison food, having to eat with plastic utensils and not being able to communicate with sympathisers.

Breivik, who has legally changed his name to Fjotolf Hansen, also claimed that being subjected to frequent strip searches and the time he spent often handcuffed early in his prison term violated his rights.

Last year, Norway's top court ruled that Norwegian authorities had not violated his human rights by isolating him in prison.

Breivik's lawyer, Oeystein Storrvik, told Norwegian news agency NTB the ruling was "thorough" and there are currently no plans to contest the terms of Breivik's imprisonment through another legal challenge.

"There is a limit for how long such incarceration can continue without a person suffering from it," Storrvik said. "The impression I have gotten from recent conversations with my client is that the isolation is getting worse and worse."

Breivik meticulously planned the bomb-and-shooting attacks that claimed 77 lives on July 22, 2011. He first set off a car bomb outside the government headquarters in Oslo, killing eight people and wounding dozens.

He then drove to the island of Utoya, 40km (25 miles) away, where he opened fire at a summer camp of the left-wing Labor Party's youth wing. Sixty-nine people were killed, most of them teenagers, before Breivik surrendered to police.

Read more on:    anders behring breivik
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic

Jobs in Cape Town [change area]

Jobs in Western Cape region

Reporting Accountant

Cape Town
Network Finance Professional / Prudential
R310 000.00 - R360 000.00 Per Year

IT Manager (contract)

Cape Town CBD
Communicate Cape Town IT
R330 000.00 - R458 000.00 Per Year

HSE Manager

Cape Town
Tumaini Consulting
R550 000.00 - R650 000.00 Per Year

Property [change area]

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.