'I saw a gunman hitting the main gate with grenade'

2018-01-24 17:24
Afghan security forces inspect the site of attack on British charity Save the Children office in Jalalabad on January 24, 2018. (AFP)

Afghan security forces inspect the site of attack on British charity Save the Children office in Jalalabad on January 24, 2018. (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Jalalaba - Save the Children suspended operations across Afghanistan on Wednesday as Islamic State militants terrorised staff trapped inside one of its offices in an hours-long attack, the latest assault on a foreign charity.

Gunmen blasted their way into the British aid group's compound in the eastern city of Jalalabad, killing at least three people and wounding 24.

Save the Children, an AFP reporter at the scene and a security source said the attack was continuing in the early evening, hours after an official claimed it was over.

"Save the Children can confirm that the security incident affecting our office in Jalalabad, Afghanistan is still ongoing," a spokesperson said in a statement.

"In response to this all of our programmes across Afghanistan have been temporarily suspended and our offices are closed."

After blowing up a car outside the charity's compound in Jalalabad, the attackers used a rocket-propelled grenade to storm the complex, in a raid claimed by ISIS via its propaganda arm Amaq.

Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the Nangarhar provincial governor, said at least three people -- two guards and a civilian -- had been killed and 24 wounded. Earlier, he said the attackers were wearing military uniforms.

Up to 50 people including women were rescued from a basement where they had been hiding from attackers, Khogyani said in a statement.

Mohammad Amin, who was inside the compound when the attackers launched the raid at 9:10 am, told AFP from his hospital bed that he heard "a big blast".

"We ran for cover and I saw a gunman hitting the main gate with an RPG (rocket-propelled grenade) to enter the compound. I jumped out of the window," Amin said.

Afghan TV news channels showed a thick plume of black smoke rising above the compound and what appeared to be at least one vehicle on fire outside the office.

ISIS has intensified attacks in cities in recent months, targeting mosques and Afghan security forces as it expands beyond its stronghold in the east.

Afghan security forces inspect the site of attack on British charity Save the Children office in Jalalabad on January 24, 2018. (AFP)


Militant groups rarely claim responsibility for attacks on aid workers.

Charities targeted

Wednesday's assault comes days after Taliban gunmen stormed a luxury hotel in the Afghan capital and killed at least 22 people, mostly foreigners.

Insurgents armed with Kalashnikovs and suicide vests attacked the landmark Intercontinental Hotel, going from room to room searching for foreigners during the more than 12-hour ordeal.

"Attacks directed at civilians or aid organisations are clear violations of international humanitarian law and may amount to war crimes," the UN's mission in Afghanistan tweeted earlier.

 afghan attack

Kam Air employees stand over their colleague's coffins, all Ukrainian employees of the Afghan airline, at a ceremony at Kabul International Airport on January 24, 2018, following their deaths in a Taliban attack on the Intercontinental Hotel. (AFP)

 

The assault on Save the Children, which has operated in Afghanistan since 1976, is the latest violence to hit a foreign aid group in the country, which recorded the second highest number of attacks against aid workers in 2016.

Only South Sudan was more dangerous, according to UK-based research group Humanitarian Outcomes.

The International Committee of the Red Cross announced in October it would "drastically" reduce its presence in Afghanistan after seven employees were killed in attacks last year.

Nangarhar, a restive province bordering Pakistan, is a stronghold for ISIS and also has a significant Taliban presence.

US and Afghan forces have been carrying out ground and air operations against ISIS fighters in the province.

While Afghan security forces are conducting most of the fighting against ISIS and Taliban militants, US troops operate alongside them in a training capacity and are frequently on the front lines.

The last major attack in Jalalabad was on December 31 when an explosion at a funeral killed 18 mourners and wounded 13. There was no claim of responsibility.

Read more on:    isis  |  afghanistan  |  terrorism

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.