Indonesia on high alert as police probe attacks

2016-01-15 13:42

Jakarta – Army trucks thundered through Indonesia's capital on Friday as authorities boosted security at possible terror targets and probed the suspected Islamic State cell blamed for Jakarta's deadly militant attacks.

Four of the five men killed in suicide and gun assaults on Thursday had been identified, and a subsequent search of one of their homes found IS-related evidence, including the group's flag, National police spokesperson Anton Charliyan said.

The rapid-fire series of bombings and a shootout between gunmen and police erupted in a busy part of the capital, lined with malls and foreign missions, shocking moderate-Muslim Indonesians and leaving two civilians and five attackers dead.

Authorities in the world's most populous Muslim country have blamed a network of Islamic State fighters from Southeast Asia that was forged in the radical jihadist group's war in Syria and Iraq.

"An alert has been imposed throughout Indonesia," said Charliyan.

"National police are on their highest alert, especially in areas considered targets of terror, like police stations, government offices, and embassies, with army backup."

(Indonesian armed military patrol the area near cafe after a series of blasts hit Jakarta on January 14, 2016. Photo: Bay Ismoyo, AFP)

Read more on:    indonesia  |  isis
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.