Iranian baby will be allowed into US for life-saving surgery

2017-02-04 12:20
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

New York - New York Governor Andrew Cuomo says an Iranian infant banned from entering the United States for life-saving heart surgery under President Donald Trump's executive order, will now be allowed to travel for the emergency procedure.

Cuomo said on Friday that Manhattan's Mount Sinai Medical Centre has offered to perform the surgery. But the family reportedly chose to do it in Portland, Oregon, where they have a relative.

The baby girl's family had planned to enter the country earlier this week after picking up a tourist visa in Dubai. But they were abruptly turned back as travellers of one of seven predominantly Muslim countries targeted under the president's executive order.

Cuomo says he worked with the International Refugee Assistance Project to help secure a waiver of Trump's order.

Read more on:    us  |  iran
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.