ISIS came with a hit list, left Syria town in a trail of blood

2017-10-24 06:30
(File, AFP)

(File, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Beirut - The Islamic State militants came into the Syrian town with a hit list. By the time they left three weeks later, more than 70 civilians had been killed - shot or beheaded, their bodies dumped in farms and ditches.

The apparent revenge killings in the town of Qaryatayn underscore the ability of the extremists to inflict heavy losses even when they're in retreat - and portend more violence as they fight to hang on to their last strongholds in Syria.

News of the gruesome slayings began to emerge late on Sunday, after ISIS militants were driven out by advancing government troops.

Terrified residents said they watched the slaughter from their windows or in the streets.

One former resident said his surviving family members walked for miles to find cell phone coverage so they could tell him of the deaths of his uncle, two cousins and a fourth relative. Another uncle remains missing.

"They came into town with a hit list," said Abdullah AbdulKarim, adding that 35 of the 50 militants who overran the town late last month were originally from Qaryatayn. He said the militants accused many of their victims of collaborating with the government but many others were also caught in the revenge killing.

"Our curse is from within us," he said, speaking to The Associated Press from northern Syria, where he fled years ago.

Killed children 

Once a predominantly Christian town known for its ancient monastery, Qaryatayn has changed hands between ISIS and the Syrian government several times during Syria's civil war. Parts of the 1500-year-old St. Elian monastery were demolished the first time ISIS took over the town in 2015 and thousands of its Christian residents fled, fearing the extremist group's brutality.

An AP video, filmed as Syrian government troops recaptured Qaryatayn on Saturday, showed several bodies lying in the streets. In the video, a town resident said ISIS "monsters" killed more than 100 people, including soldiers and civilians.

"These are people who don't know God, they don't know anything. They killed children and women with knives, they beat women, broke their arms," he said, speaking on condition of anonymity out of fear for his own safety.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said it had documented the killings of at least 128 people in Qaryatayn, including at least 12 killed by government forces on suspicion of aiding the ISIS militants.

AbdulKarim and Mohamed Hassan, an activist who runs the Palmyra Network News, put the death toll at 75 civilians, saying many more remain unaccounted for. They said the dead included some who were shot by government forces.

But Hassan said most of the slayings were by Islamic State militants. "It seems it was mostly revenge," he said.

Another activist network, the Palmyra Coordination Committee, released the names of 67 civilians who were confirmed killed and said the number was likely to rise. It said at least 35 of the dead were found dumped inside a ditch.

New offensive 

Talal Barazi, the governor of Homs province, said IS "terrorised" residents for three weeks, adding that most of the dead were townspeople who were government employees or were affiliated with Syria's ruling Baath party.

He said at least 13 residents remained missing and six bodies had not been identified.

ISIS militants first seized Qaryatayn in August 2015, and relied on its strategic location to defend another of their bastions, the historic city of Palmyra. With Russian backing, Syrian government troops regained control of Qaryatayn in April 2016. But ISIS, facing major setbacks in Syria and Iraq, launched a new offensive on the town in late September and recaptured it.

AbdulKarim said during the three weeks that ISIS controlled the town, the militants went door to door looking for people they accused of collaborating with the Syrian government.

He said his uncle, who was a local mayor, and two cousins were shot after they were taken to an undisclosed location. Another uncle remains missing.

"They took people to show them bodies dumped in an open area to let them know they were killed, but also to terrorise the public," AbdulKarim said. He said the extremists barred residents from burying their dead.

He said the advancing government troops also killed civilians, but residents were too afraid to report the government killings.

AbdulKarim and the Observatory said the militants took Qaryatayn's police chief, his wife and other security personnel as hostages to negotiate their exit after government troops encircled the town.

About 200 militants evacuated the town, before government forces marched in, they said.


Read more on:    isis  |  terrorism

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.