Israel silent on Gaza underground wall

2016-08-03 20:14
(File, AFP)

(File, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Jerusalem - Israeli officials on Wednesday declined to comment on reports  that the government issued a tender for the construction of an underground wall around Gaza to block attack tunnels from the Palestinian territory.

The Ynet news website reported that the Defence Ministry had issued tenders for the building of an underground structure to prevent tunnels being dug into Israel.

The report said the barrier would have sensors to detect digging and would eventually run the length of the 60km Gaza border.

It did not say how deep the wall would be, but said the tender had been submitted to 20 Israeli companies for bids.

Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip, used underground tunnels crossing the border to carry out surprise attacks in the last war between the two sides in 2014.

Israel has described the tunnels as a strategic threat and Hamas has repeatedly said it was building new ones.

Twice this year Israel has announced the discovery of tunnels reaching across the border with the second occasion in May leading to the worst flare-up on the border since the 2014 war.

The Gaza Strip has been under an Israeli blockade for around a decade and its border with Egypt also remains largely closed.

Read more on:    hamas  |  israel  |  middle east peace
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Most Read
News In Your Area
Top Lifestyle
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.