Italy PM: Apparently no deaths from triple quakes

2017-01-18 15:58
Foreign minister Paolo Gentiloni. (Farouk Batiche, AFP)

Foreign minister Paolo Gentiloni. (Farouk Batiche, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Rome — Italian Premier Paolo Gentiloni says it seems there were no fatalities from the three strong earthquakes that rocked the same area of central Italy that was devastated by quakes last year.

Gentiloni said on Wednesday was a "difficult day" for Italy.

Central Italy has been buried under over a meter of snow in recent days, with some areas without electricity, complicating the arrival of emergency services.

Speaking in Berlin after a meeting with Chancellor Angela Merkel, Gentiloni said his thoughts were with those who were suffering through another round of temblors.

He said: "Luckily it seems there were no deaths."

Merkel for her part offered reconstruction assistance.

Read more on:    italy  |  earthquakes
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.