More unrest in Venezuela as president seeks new constitution

2017-05-03 16:10
Opposition members shout slogans against Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro during a National Assembly special session in Caracas, Venezuela. (Fernando Llano, AP)

Opposition members shout slogans against Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro during a National Assembly special session in Caracas, Venezuela. (Fernando Llano, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Caracas  — People blocked streets in Caracas with broken concrete, twisted metal and flaming piles of trash on Tuesday to protest the socialist president's bid to rewrite the constitution amid a rapidly escalating political crisis.

The barricades came a day after President Nicolas Maduro signed a decree to begin the process of rewriting the charter. 

Opposition leaders called the planned constitutional assembly a ploy to put off regional elections scheduled for this year and a presidential election that was to be held in 2018.

Polling suggests the socialists would lose both those elections badly at a time of widespread anger over triple-digit inflation and shortages of food and other goods.

Regional governments rejected the move in stronger language than they have used so far in condemning the South American country's crisis.

Brazil called the move a "coup," and the US State Department threatened further sanctions based on Maduro's actions.

"What President Maduro is trying to do yet again is trying to change the rules of the game," said Michael Fitzpatrick, deputy assistant secretary of state for Western Hemisphere affairs.

Maduro was vague about how members of the assembly would be chosen. He hinted some would selected by voters, but many observers expect the selection process to favour the socialists.

The president said on Tuesday that he hoped the opposition would join in the process of creating a new constitution.

"They don't realise how lost they are in their violence. I'm extending my hand and asking them to come to the constitutional convention," he said.

Opposition action

Opposition leaders called for another major demonstration Wednesday.

If the constitutional process goes forward, opposition leaders will need to focus on getting at least some sympathetic figures included in the assembly. 

That could distract them from organising the near-daily street protests that have kept up for four weeks, political analyst Luis Vicente Leon said.

"It's a way of calling elections that uses up energy but does not carry risk, because it's not a universal, direct and secret vote," Leon said.

"And it has the effect of pushing out the possibility of elections this year and probably next year as well."

The opposition-majority congress officially rejected Maduro's constitutional congress on Tuesday, saying the idea should first be put to a vote of Venezuelans. 

It was a symbolic gesture because the legislative body has no power to block a constitutional assembly.

Venezuela's constitution was last rewritten in 1999, early in the 14-year presidency of the late Hugo Chavez, who launched a socialist revolution in the oil-exporting nation. 

Chavez called his new constitution the best in the world, and promised it would last centuries. He carried around a blue pocket-sized version of the document, and would often whip it out and say, "This is our Bible. After the Bible, this." 

At the height of his popularity, people would mob him to ask that he sign their copies.

'Not the time for fear'

Police repressed scattered protests on Tuesday with tear gas, as they have nearly daily for weeks.

At least 29 people have died in the unrest of the past month and hundreds have been injured. 

On Tuesday, the government suspended for 180 days the right to carry guns.

The wave of unrest began in reaction to an attempt to nullify the opposition controlled-congress, but has become a vehicle for people to vent their fury at Venezuela's economic ruin and violent crime. 

Residents manning the barricades that choked streets across the capital on Tuesday vowed to protest until Maduro leaves office.

"Unlike some of these young people, I remember a time before the socialists. Now is not the time for fear," said 36 year-old chauffeur Ricardo Herrera as he arranged trash and pieces of concrete into a street barricade in front of his apartment building.

Herrera had so far sat out the protests because he had to get to work, but decided after Maduro's announcement that he could no longer stand by.

"No one is going to work today. If we back down now, we'll be under their boot for the rest of our lives," he said.


Read more on:    nicolas maduro  |  venezuela

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.