Munich gunman spent year planning attack

2016-07-24 18:18
A couple put down flowers near a mall in Munich where a teenager went on the rampage. (Kerstin Joensson, AP)

A couple put down flowers near a mall in Munich where a teenager went on the rampage. (Kerstin Joensson, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Munich - The 18-year-old gunman who killed nine people in a shooting spree in Munich had been planning his crime for a year but chose his victims at random, officials said on Sunday.

"He had been preparing [the shooting] for a year," Bavarian police chief Robert Heimberger told a news conference.

Chief prosecutor Thomas Steinkraus-Koch added that he did not specifically choose his victims.

"It is not the case that he deliberately selected" the people who he shot, he said.

Europe reacted in shock to the third attack on the continent in just over a week, after David Ali Sonboly went on a shooting spree at a shopping centre on Friday before turning the gun on himself.

Officials said on Saturday that Sonboly, a German-Iranian student, had a history of mental illness.

Investigators said they saw an "obvious link" between the killings and white supremacist Anders Breivik's massacre of 77 people in Norway exactly five years earlier.

Chancellor Angela Merkel said Munich had suffered a "night of horror".

Read more on:    anders behring breivik  |  germany  |  norway  |  norway attacks
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.