North Korea slams 'ignorant and stupid' Pence, threatens to cancel summit

2018-05-24 10:10
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un delivering a statement in response to US President Donald Trump's speech to the UN. (Korean Central News Agency/Korea News Service via AP)

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un delivering a statement in response to US President Donald Trump's speech to the UN. (Korean Central News Agency/Korea News Service via AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Seoul – North Korea called US Vice-President Mike Pence "ignorant and stupid" for his warnings over a planned summit with Donald Trump, renewing a threat to cancel as the US president said the fate of the historic talks will be decided next week.

Trump is due to meet his North Korean counterpart Kim Jong-un in Singapore on June 12 for high stakes talks aimed at ridding the reclusive state of its newly-acquired nuclear weapons and improving ties after decades of animosity.

The summit announcement came after months of unusually cordial diplomacy between the historic foes brokered by South Korea.

But the newfound bonhomie and the meeting's potential success has been thrown into doubt in recent days with both Washington and Pyongyang raising the prospect of cancelling the talks and trading threats.

ALSO READ: Trump: 'Substantial chance' summit with Kim will not go ahead

The latest broadside from North Korea came on Thursday with vice-minister of Foreign Affairs Choe Son Hui lambasting a Monday media interview in which Pence warned Kim Jong-un that it would be a "great mistake" to try and play Trump.

Pence also said North Korea could end up like Libya, whose former leader Muammar Gaddafi was killed by US-backed rebels years after giving up atomic weapons, "if Kim Jong-un doesn't make a deal".

"I cannot suppress my surprise at such ignorant and stupid remarks gushing out from the mouth of the US vice-president," Choe said in a statement released by the state-run KCNA news agency.

"We will neither beg the US for dialogue nor take the trouble to persuade them if they do not want to sit together with us," she said, adding she would recommend Kim cancel the talks if Washington continues to make such threats.

Similar comments comparing North Korea to Libya from Trump's hawkish National Security Adviser John Bolton caused the first threat by Pyongyang last week to cancel the Singapore meeting.

"Whether the US will meet us at a meeting room or encounter us at nuclear-to-nuclear showdown is entirely dependent upon the decision and behaviour of the United States," she added.

Aides head to Singapore

Politically, Trump has invested heavily in the success of the planned summit, and so privately most US officials, as well as outside observers, believe it will go ahead.

Hand-picked aides – including deputy chief of staff Joe Hagin and deputy national security adviser Mira Ricardel – are travelling to the Southeast Asian city state designated to host the summit, officials said.

They are expected to meet their North Korean counterparts and iron out details of the meeting.

But Trump has also become increasingly lukewarm about meeting Kim, teasing his commitment to talks as keenly as any of his The Apprentice season finales.

"On Singapore we'll see. It could very well happen," he said on Wednesday, adding cryptically: "Whatever it is, we'll know next week."

ALSO READ: South Korea downplays Pyongyang's threats to cancel talks

Trump enthusiastically embraced the idea of talks earlier this year – the first ever meeting between a US president and a leader of North Korea.

But as the date draws nearer, the yawning gulf in expectations between the two sides is coming into sharp relief.

Washington has made it clear it wants to see the "complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearisation" of the North.

But Pyongyang has vowed it will never give up its nuclear deterrence until it feels safe from what it terms US aggression.

Some analysts have suggested both sides still want to meet in Singapore, but are playing hardball in the run up to the summit to leverage a better negotiation position.

PR battle

Ostensibly, the Trump-Kim talks will be about peace on the Korean peninsula and North Korea's nuclear and ballistic weapons.

But even before talk of test freezes, decommissioning or inspections, Washington and Pyongyang are engaged in a public relations battle.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who has met personally with Kim, said whether the summit goes ahead is now up to North Korea.

"That decision will ultimately be up to Chairman Kim," he told the House Foreign Affairs Committee on Wednesday. "He asked for the meeting, the president agreed to meet with him. I'm very hopeful that that meeting will take place."

ALSO READ: North Korea threatens to cancel US summit: KCNA

His remarks reflect an effort to perhaps lay the groundwork for blame should the talks fail.

As part of its own charm offensive, North Korea invited some foreign journalists to witness the slated destruction of the isolated regime's nuclear test site.

The gesture, which experts agree would do little to curb North Korea's long-term nuclear capabilities, is meant to signal that the regime is serious about change.

Pyongyang said it planned to "completely" destroy the Punggye-ri facility in the country's northeast when it made the surprise announcement earlier this month.

The demolition is due to take place sometime between Thursday and Friday, depending on the weather.

Read more on:    kim jong-un  |  donald trump  |  us  |  north korea  |  peace talks  |  diplomacy

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.