Phoenix serial killings suspect: 'I'm innocent'

2017-05-10 16:51
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Phoenix — A former city bus driver suspected in a string of nine deadly shootings that spread fear in Phoenix declared "I'm innocent" as residents of the terrorised neighbourhoods on Tuesday expressed both relief over the arrest and frustration that it took so long.

Aaron Saucedo, 23, spoke up during a brief court appearance late on Monday night after his arrest on suspicion of being the killer dubbed the Serial Street Shooter. A judge ordered him held without bail.

Police say Saucedo killed nine people and carried out 12 shootings from August 2015 to July 2016, gunning down victims after dark as they stood outside their homes or sat in their cars. Most of the killings were in a Latino neighbourhood.

Police gave no details on a motive. Saucedo knew only the first victim, and the other killings were random, authorities said.

Because of the shootings last summer, some residents stayed inside after dark. Others were afraid to come forward because many are immigrants in the US illegally or don't have their paperwork in order.

A fearful neighbourhood

Residents said they were happy that police made an arrest but questioned whether it would have happened sooner had the killings occurred in a different neighbourhood.

"They didn't look for him at all. They didn't care. You know why? Because there were no white people dying," resident Sirwendell Flowers said. "Look at the faces on the news. The police didn't care."

Marina Smith was seven months pregnant last year when her partner, 21-year-old Diego Verdugo-Sanchez, was gunned down. Smith said she had grown frustrated as detectives kept her in the dark about the investigation.

"The fact of them finding somebody, at least it was some type of news," she said.

The hunt for the killer yielded more than 30 000 tips, and authorities said it was a tipster who provided the break in the case. But they would not elaborate, and details of the evidence assembled against Saucedo were sealed by a judge at prosecutors' request.

Witnesses described the shooter as a young, lanky Hispanic man who drove a BMW, helping develop a sketch that bears a striking resemblance to Saucedo. Police said Saucedo had a BMW but stopped driving it and changed his appearance after the final shooting.

A call left Tuesday for Dean Roskosz, Saucedo's court-appointed lawyer, wasn't immediately returned.

'Multiple homicides'

Two weeks after Saucedo allegedly carried out the first killing, authorities seized the weapon in that crime from a Phoenix pawn shop. At the time, investigators were looking into a separate string of shootings that targeted drivers on Phoenix-area freeways.

But detectives with the Arizona Department of Public Safety never conducted ballistics tests on the gun and returned it to the pawn shop five days later once they ruled out the weapon in the freeway shootings.

Phoenix police refused to comment on whether the evidence could have led them to Saucedo before the random killings started nearly four months later.

Experts said some of the circumstances surrounding the case are unusual, including Saucedo's young age.

Jack Levin, a retired professor of sociology and criminology at North eastern University in Boston and the author of several books on serial killings, said most serial killers are in their 30s and 40s and their crimes rarely involve guns.

"Multiple homicides are much more likely to be committed by someone who is older, who has led a life of frustration over decades and has decided to get even with society," Levin said.

Saucedo was a bus driver for the city of Phoenix through a temp agency for several months in 2015, police said.

Police said they would pay out a $75 000 reward offered for information that could help solve the case but declined to say how many people would get the money.

The break in the case came when Saucedo was arrested last month in connection with the August 2015 fatal shooting of 61-year-old Raul Romero, who had a relationship with Saucedo's mother. Authorities investigated Saucedo more closely and connected him to the other killings.

Holly Cortes, who lives a few doors down from the house where one of the victims was fatally shot, said she was relieved police made an arrest.

She said her husband and his friends began hanging out in the backyard instead of the front after the shootings.

"I'm glad they finally got — hopefully — the person that's responsible," Cortes said.


Read more on:    us

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.