Recovering bodies of Alaska climbers could be months away

2018-03-16 21:23
(File, Supplied)

(File, Supplied)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Alaska — Authorities say the bodies of two experienced climbers who are presumed dead on a southeast Alaska mountain likely won't be recovered for months.

Alaska State Troopers spokesperson Megan Peters says summer is the soonest authorities could launch a recovery effort, though that depends on snow and ice conditions and the risk to crew members.

The agency said earlier this week that George "Ryan" Johnson of Juneau and Marc-Andre Leclerc of British Columbia are presumed dead. The men were reported overdue on March 7 from a climbing trip to Mendenhall Towers, a seven-peaked mountain not far from Alaska's capital city.

Troopers say an anchor rope was seen at the top of an ice chute and two ropes matching the description of gear carried by the men were seen in a crevasse.

Read more on:    us
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.