Russia announces ceasefire in Syria's Idlib from Saturday

2019-08-30 17:38
Syrians from the country's northern countryside gather during a demonstration by the Bab al-Hawa crossing between Turkey and Syria's northwestern Idlib province demanding Ankara help stop a deadly Damascus regime offencive in Idlib. (Rami Al Sayed, AFP)

Syrians from the country's northern countryside gather during a demonstration by the Bab al-Hawa crossing between Turkey and Syria's northwestern Idlib province demanding Ankara help stop a deadly Damascus regime offencive in Idlib. (Rami Al Sayed, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Russia on Friday announced Syrian government forces would cease fire in the north-western province of Idlib starting on Saturday morning.

An agreement was reached on "a unilateral ceasefire by Syrian government forces in the Idlib de-escalation zone, from 6am on August 31", the Russian Reconciliation Centre for Syria said in a statement.

The announcement came after Russian-backed Syrian forces advanced on the rebel-held bastion, one of the last holdouts of opposition to President Bashar al-Assad's government.

The ceasefire aimed "to stabilise the situation" in Idlib, the statement said, urging anti-government fighters to "abandon armed provocations and join the peace process".

Russia and its Syrian ally have stepped up aerial raids on northwestern Syria as they sent reinforcements from elite army units and Iran-backed armed groups to bolster a major offensive against the last major rebel stronghold, opposition sources, army defectors and residents said on Friday.

The Russian-led alliance took the town of Khwain, Zarzoor and Tamanah farms in southern Idlib, pushing closer into densely populated parts of Idlib province where millions of people who fled fighting elsewhere in Syria have taken refuge.

They were the first gains since the alliance seized a main rebel pocket in Hama province last week.

Jets flying at high altitudes believed to be Russian, according to activists who track warplanes, dropped bombs on the outskirts of the heavily-populated Idlib city, the capital of the province.

Opposition sources say hundreds of troops from the country's elite Republican Guards - led by President Bashar al Assad's brother Maher al-Assad that defends the capital, Damascus - alongside fighters from Lebanon's Iranian-backed Hezbollah group were deployed in the front lines of southern Idlib province.

190829011628977

"There are daily reinforcements coming from the Iranian militias, elite Republican Guards units and Fourth Armed Division," Colonel Mustafa Bakour, a commander in the Jaish al Izza rebel group told Reuters news agency.

Increasing raids

Moscow's dispatch of ground forces had made a breakthrough after months of costly battles that yielded little or nothing for Assad's side and risked humiliating Moscow, according to Western intelligence sources.

Rebel resistance has been eroded by a relentless aerial campaign against civilian areas since late April. The campaign has damaged or flattened dozens of hospitals, schools and civil defence centres and paralysed life in rebel-held areas.

Moscow and Damascus deny they have targeted civilians and say they are responding to militant attacks by the former Nusra Front, an armed alliance now known as Hay'et Tahrir al-Sham that is the dominant force in Idlib.

The new lineup of Russian backed-forces facing a coalition of fringe elements and mainstream Turkey-backed rebels has been credited with the rapid progress achieved in the last few weeks, an army defector and two senior opposition sources conceded.

"The Russians have now moved to depending on the Iranians and elite army formations in this campaign," Bakour added, saying this was a shift away from reliance on the so-called Tiger forces who previously provided most of the Syrian army's ground troops.

Since capturing the strategic town of Khan Sheikhoun nearly 10 days ago, Russian and Syrian jets were now escalating raids on the city of Maraat al-Numan that lies further north.

At least 12 civilians, including five children, were killed during raids overnight on the now ghost city that has seen most of its over 140 000 flee in the last few weeks.

The gains of the last 24 hours bring the Russian-led alliance closer to capturing the town of Tamaneh, one of dozens of rural villages and towns that have been pummeled in heavy air raids.

More than half a million civilians have now been uprooted in the course of the offensive that the United Nations say hundreds have been killed and resulted in large scale destruction of civilian areas. 

GET THE NEWS at your fingertips and download the News24 app for Android here now. Get it for your iPhone here.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    russia  |  syria
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.