Child, 4, in coma for six weeks after swallowing balloon

2018-10-26 14:29
Andrey and his mom.  (Magazine Features)

Andrey and his mom. (Magazine Features)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A little boy has been in a coma with serious brain damage for more than a month after accidentally swallowing a balloon.

Siberian boy Andrey, whose surname has not been revealed, from Tyumen, Russia, picked up a deflated balloon and put it in his mouth during an outdoor walk at his nursery school without his school teachers seeing. The four-year-old accidentally swallowed it.

He immediately started feeling unwell and soon after lost consciousness.

Distressed staff swiftly called an ambulance to take Andrey to the hospital where doctors discovered and removed the foreign object.

But Andrey’s condition deteriorated and he fell into a coma in which he’s remained for a month and a half.

Doctors describe his condition as critical and say he has suffered brain damage to his cerebral cortex. Medical staff are reportedly doing their best to revive Andrey but say there is no way of repairing a damaged cerebral cortex.

Local police have launched an investigation into the incident and are considering filing negligence charges against nursery staff.

Meanwhile, Andrey’s family is trying to find a private clinic to treat him in the hopes that he’ll recover.

Source: Magazine Features

Read more on:    russia
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.