Second man dies after shooting outside Australian nightclub

2019-04-21 09:16
Firemen wash away bloodstains after a security guard was shot dead with another man fighting for his life after a drive-by shooting outside a popular Melbourne nightclub on April 14, 2019. (William West/AFP)

Firemen wash away bloodstains after a security guard was shot dead with another man fighting for his life after a drive-by shooting outside a popular Melbourne nightclub on April 14, 2019. (William West/AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A second victim of a drive-by shooting outside a popular nightclub in Melbourne has died, as police look at the possible involvement of motorbike or crime groups in the attack, media report.

The nightclub patron - named in local reports as 28-year-old Richard Arow - died on Friday, police said.

Six people - five men and a woman - were injured in the shooting that occurred outside the Love Machine club in the trendy inner-city suburb of Prahran last Sunday morning, investigators said.

A 37-year-old security guard, named by local media as Aaron Khalid Osmani, died on the same day in hospital.

Police added in a statement on Saturday that they were continuing to investigate the incident.

Melbourne's The Age newspaper said police were looking into whether motorcycle or other crime groups were behind the killings, adding that patrons and staff had been threatened by gang members in recent months.

"Clearly tensions are escalating. We think this is a specific, targeted attack but we do not know the people involved in it or the motive at this point in time," Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Tess Walsh told the newspaper.

"There are some commonalities with the crime type," she added, referring to the type of shootings carried out by bikie gangs.

A spate of shootings in Melbourne in March left five people dead in four separate incidents, two of which were believed to be gang-related.

Mass shootings are rare in Australia, which has strict firearms laws introduced in 1996 after 35 people were killed by a gunman in the historic colonial convict site of Port Arthur in the state of Tasmania.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said following the Prahran shooting that his state government was ready to change gun laws if needed.

Read more on:    australia  |  melbourne  |  shooting
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.